How can I browse windows shares?

Guest JoshFed

Guest JoshFed

I have a small network of 3 machines in my apartment. Is it possible for me to browse the shared folders on the 2 windows machines from my Mandrake 9.0 machine? I'd really like to be able to do this graphically, if possible.

Thank you

i know it's on 9.1, but probably on 9.0 also... try installing LinNeighborhood. (it'll need to install samba and a few other packages, but mandrake should take care of all that). I was about ready to bash my head in trying to mount my other PCs from the console, but Linneighborhood say them right away.

if your in kde you should be able to browse the shares quite easily by runing konqueror and entering in the address bar smb://nameofwindowscomputer or smb://windowscomputerIPaddress

or you could try runing Mandrake control center > Mount points > set samba mount points. If it shows your windows computers all you'll need to do is double click on them decided where to mount them and then click mount.

There are issues with the way kdebase is packaged that affect kio_smb (aka smb://) in Mandrake at present. I have just fixed some of those, so it should work much better in 9.2, and I may provide updated RPMS that fix the issue.

Note that you can browse the network by using lisa. First you must configure lisa (KDE Control Center->Networking->Network Browsing). Run the "Guided Lisa setup", and then restart the lisa service. Now in konqueror, you should be able to go to lan://localhost (or click on the services icon, and choose Network Browser), and see machines on your net.

For added fun (in 9.0), also install kio_fish (in contrib IIRC) to be able to access machines running ssh

How do I restart the Lisa service ranger?

from the mandrake control center -> system -> services

look for the lisa entry press the start button which will stop then restart lisa.

Or in a terminal window:

[john@administrator john]$ su

Password:

[root@administrator john]# service lisa restart

Stopping lisa:                                                  [  OK  ]

Starting lisa:                                                  [  OK  ]

[root@administrator john]#

If you are using KDE there is a way to see the Windows share into Konqueror. This trick can also be applied to Gnome and Nautilus. You have to mount the Windows share somewhere in the Linux tree.

Let's say you want to mount the directory 'export' that is on a 'win' machine in /mnt/Whatever. Then add the following line in your /etc/fstab file as root

//win/EXPORT /mnt/Whatever smbfs user,noauto,rw 0 0

and type the following

mount /mnt/Whatever

If you want it to be automatically mounted at boot, remove the 'noauto' option.

This way, you'll be able to access the share with any file manager (Konq, Nautilus, ............)

Reference:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/amount2.html#ex

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/csamba.html

MOttS