network questions - anyone?

Trio3b

Am considering upgrading to MDV2008 although am very comfortable with 10.2 for the past year or so. I have a fresh MDV2008 / PCLOS2007 dual boot install on PC2 for testing purposes. All my main work is done on PC1. This is my setup:

internet<->DSL modem <-> eth0 (PC1 MDK10.2)eth1 <-> hub <-> eth0 (PC2 MDV2008/PCLOS2007)

As to why I set it up this way?

1. All I had was a hub

2. I figured i could use PC1 as a web server/filter to keep PC2 kid safe

3. I could share files on local network

Although I have had most everything that I want working, I have read most every networking "bible" but can't seem to put it into context for my specific setup, and am kinda p*ssed (at myself) that I'm not really understanding what's going on. The reason is that I have setup internet sharing and static IPs for the local LAN, but I get inconsistent results so obviously I must be just stumbling around and I don't want to do that anymore.

I do have a few (well more than a few) questions.

Any takers?

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

Best thing would be to ask / tell about these specific problems you have, so it should be somewhat easier to sort them out one by another, otherwise you would propably end up with someone writing a "network-bible" style megapost that doesn't help you very much.

I just would not know where to begin, since I don't know how much you already know about networking.

e.g. are your PCs able to communicate with each other ?, does the PC that does NAT have connection to the internet ?, have you actually activated firewalling on the PCs, have you configured the firewall in a specific manner ?

Sorry about the delay.

My modem is the seimens speedstream 4100 and I don't think it is a router.

1. First off, is this a normal peer to peer setup?

2. Someone suggested that a switch in place of the hub would be better, but that a router is overkill?

3. Same person also suggested that the hub/router/switch should be between the DSL modem and ALL of the PCs. This will distribute internet sharing with no loss in speed. Is this correct? However, won't I have to configure web filtering on ALL the PCs as opposed to just PC1?

4. I have squid running on PC1, and have setup internet sharing on it. PC2 and PC3 are able to 'net connect. Would PC1 be technically called the web server for 2 and 3?

5. I assume I would run DansGuardian on PC1 to protect 2 and 3?

6. I access the modem through a browser at 192.168.0.1 - All three PCs have been setup through MCC or PCC using Automatic DHCP and PC1 has internet sharing setup through MCC. What is the DNS server for PC1? What is the DNS for PC2 and PC3?

7. I noticed that dhcpd is available in MCC system services on PC1 (MDK 10.2) but cannot find it in the system services of the Control centers of either PCLOS2007 or MDV2008. What is going on?

I have more questions coming up concerning static IP addresses on the local LAN.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Trio3b

sorry the answer is a bit late

googled a bit, it seems that your modem has some router functions, but they seem to be somewhat difficult to reach.

for the network-setup, yes a switch is better than a hub, a router is not needed inside your network

personally I would set it up this way:

PC1 connected to modem throuhg eth0,

to switch through eth1

the other PCs connected to the switch

PC1 is used as router (NAT and routing are principally the same) it houses the firewall, maybe a proxy, maybe I would even think of setting up an internal DNS.

you would not need firewalls on the other PCs, since the firewall is on PC1. (if you would use the setup in 3. you would need firewalls set up on ALL PCs).

4. technically PC1 is the router/proxy-server for the others

5. Yes

6. Have you a DHCP-Server rinning ?, maybe your modem provides one ? otherwise DHCP would not make much sense.

The DNS-Server for all your PCs should be the DNS of your provider, unless you set up an internal DNS-root (which is what I did).

7. You only need one DHCP-server (the service in MCC is for the server not the client), you have no dhcp-server installed on the other PCs (you don't need it there, they're just clients)

2. Someone suggested that a switch in place of the hub would be better, but that a router is overkill?
Switches are better than Hubs because they know what PC to send a specified packet to. Where as hubs essentially send all incoming packets to all systems connected to the hub, a switch only sends the packet to the system it belongs to (hubs are "dumb", switches are "smart"). A router is not overkill - currently PC1 is essentially acting as your router.

3. Same person also suggested that the hub/router/switch should be between the DSL modem and ALL of the PCs. This will distribute internet sharing with no loss in speed. Is this correct? However, won't I have to configure web filtering on ALL the PCs as opposed to just PC1?
Only put it between the DSL Modem and all the pc's if it's a router. Chances are your ISP only gives you one IP (unless you pay extra for more) so connecting the hub/switch to the DSL modem would cause problems (hubs/switches don't do NAT which is necessary if your ISP only gives you one IP, routers do).

4. I have squid running on PC1, and have setup internet sharing on it. PC2 and PC3 are able to 'net connect. Would PC1 be technically called the web server for 2 and 3?
No, it's a router and a filter. A web server would serve up it's own website, like the machine that mandrivausers.org is running on.