How to graphically browse Windows shares in Red Hat 8

fuzzylizard

Okay, the deal is that I have a laptop running red hat 8 and a desktop computer running windows 2000. I have a share set up in the windows machine and I would like to be able to access the share and browse it graphically from my laptop. The same way I could if I was running windows 98.

I am running Red Hat 8 and gnome on the laptop and can access the windows computer using smbclient at the command line. However, this is less then an ideal solution. There must be a way to do this graphically.

Any ideas?

You could install one of those software:

LinNeighborhood (Description : LinNeighborhood is a front end to Samba using the gtk libraries)

http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/

XSMbrowser (Description : xSMBrowser is a fully-capable Samba browsing utility which supports both WINS and Broadcast networks. It's been tested to work on Redhat, SuSe, DEC Alphas, and others. It browses all aspects of networks: workgroups, computers, shares, and files. The ability to add more than one network is included, and the interface resembles Netscape Navigator (back/forward buttons, stop, favorites). Mount/unmount buttons are also included.)

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chadspen/

HTH

MOttS

You can do that with Konqueror. I never did it myself but I know you can. You have to enter some info in the KDE control center (kcontrol)->Network->LocalNetworkBrowsing and type your address Konqueror:

smb://something_that_I_dont_know

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/c...mba.html#client

MOTtS

To mount Windows computer via samba:

1. Create a directory in your home directory:

[you@linuxbox you]$ mkdir myWinPC-dir

2. As root, enter:

[root@linuxbox you]#smbmount //Windows-PC-name/c /home/you/myWinPC-dir

3. As user, browse konqueror to /home/you/myWinPC-dir

Will that command persist through reboots or is it something that will need to be set up everytime I boot into the computer?

Put that in /etc/fstab and it will be permanent.

MOttS

After setting up Samba and getting it to work, open Nautilus and type

smb://workgroup (or whatever you named your workgroup. Lo and behold that after hitting enter, your workgroup will appear and you will be able to brows your workgroup. It works for me.