Interesting Burning Error [solved]

mindwave

I was among those luck folks who were the early seeders when 2008 was released.

so i grabbed it, seeded it for a few weeks, and in the meantime burned it and installed it on my laptop.

The machine I had it seeded from was my XP pc, so that i could do my real work on MDV.

That pc had a HD issuea few weeks ago and although i didnt THINK that the hd the ISO was on was affected, it may appear otherwise right now.

I was moving things around and went to install 2008 on another pc when I realized i couldnt find my original DVD.

So i went to burn another.

Now when using Nero I get an error saying (something like) the size doesnt match the length. Then I'm presented with a screen which has a few options, one of which is to change the block number from 2048 to 2053 and enter the length of the header and the tail end in block #'s

If I ignore the warning nero will perform the burn but then error out at the end saying the media is incompatible with the source length.

I have another cd buring app called SONIC, that reports no error, performs the burn, when you reboot it gives ONE line of test "Syslinux"

and then nothing.

Now I KNOW I could dload the 'free' version but as we have seen in the forums lately there is some small differences between the PP version and the free versions, mostly (as far as I'm concerned) dealing with number of cpu's and amount of ram (I have an AMD X2 and 4GB of ram)

anyone have any ideas?

is this recoverable or will i just have to make due w/ 2007.1?

Thanks

J

Now I KNOW I could dload the 'free' version but as we have seen in the forums lately there is some small differences between the PP version and the free versions, mostly (as far as I'm concerned) dealing with number of cpu's and amount of ram (I have an AMD X2 and 4GB of ram)
Well, first off, the free version should work with the same hardware as the PP. You should be able to use all your CPU's and all your RAM, so long as you have the right kernel (if not you can always install it). Note that to use all 4GB of RAM you'll need to install a 64-bit version of the OS (simply, 32bit can't handle more than 3GB for technical reasons).

As far as your problem try getting the md5sum file for the ISO you have (it should have been included in your torrent, and is at least available somewhere) and check it with that. That will tell you if the error is in the ISO.

You don't need to install a 64 bit distro to use 4GB of ram. You just need to ensure that the kernel for the 32 bit distro is compiled to use up to 64GB and not 4GB. If it's set to 4GB, then it will only see 3GB like tyme mentions. If you change it to 64GB, then it'll see and use the full 4GB. I know, I've done it :)

Alternatively you should be able to find an already compiled kernel that is already set to 64GB.