Mandriva Changed my Ms windows fonts

tbrownarcher

When I installed Mandriva 2008 (free) since i didn't pay for it. My Ms Windows fonts changed.

Can someone tell me why and how to fix it? I'm talking about the default fonts that windows uses. I can change them but every time I go to Mandriva and come back to windows it changes them back to whatever Mandriva wanted.... What do I do about it???

I'm assuming it is setting my video card settings and the video card is going to use whatever it was last set to. That does not make a lot of sense to me though. If I restart my computer why does not the video card lose it's settings? I thought the settings were in Windows and if they are why are they being over ridden?

My System

Dell dimension 3000

2.8 mhz processor

Intel 8286 5g {i can't get it to run the nvidia GForce FX 5500 card (grrrrrrr)}

Windows XP or Mandriva 2008 (free download did not pay for )

Westinghouse L2046NV monitor

Thanks,

tbrownarcher (nate)

Hi tbrownarcher, welcome to MUB. I don't know about your video card, that may or may not be an issue. There are other people here who could tell you that, I don't know much about video cards. Sounds very strange to me though. Using the free version of Mandriva MAY effect what your viedo card is capable of doing, as it comes minus some propriety drivers otherwise included with the paid versions, but it still sounds very odd that it should effect Ms Windows that way. Anyone else got any thoughts on this? What version of Ms Windows are you using, and how did you install them on the same hard drive?

I noticed some issues when I installed Windows XP alongside Mandriva... I think this was due to Windows not liking being resized (I resized the partition to make room for Mandriva), and to having both my Linux and Windows partitions side by side. There were always issues with Windows XP after I booted into Mandriva. The easiest solution for me was to put a swap partition between Linux and Windows XP, that solved most of my problems.

Are you mounting your Windows XP partition under Mandriva? Basically, can you see Windows XP and all your files from Mandriva? If not you likely haven't mounted it, so I'd be surprised if Mandriva is messing up your configuration directly. How did you install them?

I'm talking about the default fonts that windows uses. I can change them but every time I go to Mandriva and come back to windows it changes them back to whatever Mandriva wanted....
That's just too weird. OK, here's an experiment - go into XP, change the fonts to how you want, shut down. Don't go to Mandriva. Go back into windows and see if the fonts have changed. If so, it's a Windows problem not a Mandriva problem.

Nothing that Mandriva does with its graphics drivers could/should have an effect on windows.

No "settings" on the graphics card should remain after a reboot

Mandriva shouldn't write _anything_ to Windows' partition. In fact it probably isn't able to unless you've made some effort to make it able to.

I agree with previous posters.

Mandriva CANNOT do anything to your Windows install unless you gave Mandriva access to your Windows partitions.

You would not be the first new user of Linux, from the Windows world, to imagine that installing Linux somehow screwed up its dual boot partner Windows.

It basically doesn't happen. I won't say never because there is no such guarantee.

It is almost certain you have a Windows problem so concentrate on that first. I am confident enough to say that if you were to clean Mandriva off your machine you would still have your Windows problem. What is the betting that you did not defragment your Windows just prior to installing Mandriva and creating the Mandriva partitions ???.

Cheers. John.

OK, here's an experiment - go into XP, change the fonts to how you want, shut down. Don't go to Mandriva. Go back into windows and see if the fonts have changed. If so, it's a Windows problem not a Mandriva problem.

That's a very good method to encircle the problem - easy and fast to perform!

• 1 month later...
Could something go wrong during resizing the Windows partition, and his Windows fonts files got damaged or something?
Yes, but it doesn't seem that the issue is that the fonts aren't there - for some reason they "change". Which, as stated, seems odd, since Mandriva shouldn't be touching the Windows partition unless the user is doing something to make it do so...

I am intrigued. How exactly are you "changing" the fonts in Microsoft Windows? Would you explain what you are doing? Please explain the program you are using to do this.

Also, would you describe the word "change." Do you mean size? actual font? color?