What is Linux market share

bradcarter

I often debate the feasability of a linux solution. One of the arguments I get is that no one uses linux anyway. I know the server share is somewhere around a third, but what is the desktop market share?

I have heard anywhere from .2-4% which is quite a range. I have also heard that it is to pass Mac sometime next year. I understand it is hard to get a number as like the Linux counter site said that so many people download it rather then purchase linux it is hard to pin a number on it.

Just curious is all (and looking for ammo ;))

If you think of the way, market shares have to be established, it's difficult to do this.

One thing you'll find out easily, is the web-server-market-share, because they post their system to the world.

But in/on the private desktop?!

Think of measuring market-shares with groups of several thousand per country that represent the whole.... But how representative will they be??

Several thousands for about 30 Millions of PC's, only in germany!

I think, the only way to find this out, will be pinging every IP worldwide and checking, which browser is there :shock:

.. But that could be faked, too :wink:

Think of konqueror, or "useragents" where you can type in, how your system shows up to the world.

Much more difficult must be to determine, the distributions-marketshares.....

In the internet, the distribution is NOT told by the http-query. Maximum the kernel, in most cases....

Yeah I spent a few hours with different combinations and had trouble turning up anything recent, as in the past 2 years. Though it was nice reading some of the predictions come true :) and some of the things that Microsoft were saying that linux is not a threat. Now they have acknowleged it at least.

If market share is growing I hope it is not taking away from Mac but takes away from windows, as I suspect it is.

Interesting is sometimes to follw the statistics done by major web portals based on the user agent info they get.

I have a site my own (small one) and I have one module installed that gathers the user agent info as much as it has made available.

According to my site only 74% use Windows. Linux is somewhere round 5-6%.

My unofficial better half has a small Internet Cafe, which I have been helping her run (we have 12 Win95/98/2K/XP machines and reinstall windows on them at 1-2 times a month each, because of viruses or other problems).

Were going to try offering a Linux PC, for a reduced rental rate of about 15% below that of the Windows PC's. If it works out, I am hoping we can increase the number of Linux machines. I probably will use Redhat or Mandrake with Freecurve.

We have one Windows98/OpenOffice machine. People don't like the OpenOffice program much. However, complaints come mainly from the Powerpoint users.