Recording streamed audio

phunni

Is it possible to record audio that is streamed from the interent via something like reaplplayer?

If so, can it also be recorded onto something other than my hard disk?

I regularly listen to English Premiership Rugby via the internet and it would be quite helpful if I could sometimes record a game. The reason I ask about something other than my hard disk is simply that I don't have all that much space on my hard drive and I expect that 80+ minutes of audio would take up quite a bit fo space :D

If you don't want to record to your hard drive then the simplest thing would be to hook up an cassette recorder to you audio out port and simply use the cassette to record.

Or, for a more high tech solution, plug-in a mini disk unit and record to that.

Otherwise, you are going to have to record to your hard drive.

The low tech solution is to take the audio out of your sound card and loop that back through the mic in and then record.

(Really bad solution here) If you have access to a windows computer (yea, I know, I know) there is a piece of software called Total Recorder that can basically record anything from any source.

There must be an equal solution for Linux, I just don't know what it is.

There is an output plugin for XMMS called "Disk Writer" that takes whatever is played and records it to a .wav file in the appropriate directory. It definitely won't work on RealAudio, but it does work on streaming mp3 or ogg (or anything else that will play in XMMS).

Turns out that I can record to a hard drive as I have a USB hard drive that I can mount very easily - I thought that it wouldn't work for some reason.

It has to be via realplayer as this is the only format I can get these streams in - I can't listen to the rugby any other way that I am aware of

If you take a look at the contrib packages, there is a program for recording RealAudio Streams. I forget what it's called, but it's there for sure. Also, you could use a loopback device to pipe the sound back into a program that converts the stream to OGG or MP3 on the fly.

--Andrew

Hmmm - it looks like realrekord isn't finished enough yet :( If I try to run a shceduled recording I am told that it's not implemented yet, and if I try a straight recording then I get audio via realplayer, but nothing is recorded.

It looks like a good solution though - I'm not sure if it's not ready yet - or if I'm doing something wrong

This may be an obvious statement, but if your sound driver or soundcard doesn't support true duplex, then you won't be able to record something being played by your soundcard (I think I'm right, anyway).

It probably is obvious - but it didn't occur to me :oops:

I am using the es1371 driver - is this fully duplex?

• 3 months later...

if you are using aRts you can record real audio streams using Krec. It's been a while since I did it so I don't remember all the details but I could get it done after reading the tutorial that comes with Krec and guessing a few settings. Realplay needs to be playing through aRts; if it is not, you can make it use aRts by starting it from a console using

soundwrapper realplay