DDR2 ram

mindwave

I have a question about RAM.

I'm just about to move from systems using DDR1 to DDR2 ram.

my main linux pc will use both, so i know i will have a small increase with that. but I also just bought another MB for a PVR system that ONLY uses DDR2 - 533

(thats what the books states).

I would LIKE to upgrade my personal PC to an AMD X2 6000 sometime in the near future.

My question is this.

a ,local reseller has DDR2=667 for $29/GB

obviously thats faster than the PVR needs, but probably slower than the X2 will need.

with DDR2, is there any "harm" other than NOT using the ram to its fullest potential, is I use a DDR2-667 in a MB that asks for DDR2-533?

And if for example my current MB asks for DDR2-533, but the X@ will need DDR2-800 can I buy the 800 NOW and use it in my current MB, again, knowing I'll lose the extra performence edge until I update the MP.

Sheesh ram hasnt been this bad since ECC nonECC days.

any and all suggestions appreciated.

J

If the motherboard is DDR2-533, it won't support DDR2-800. However, you probably can run slower memory in it pre DDR2-533, but I'm really not sure for certain. I always buy the memory for my motherboard, so if I was you I'd buy the DDR2-533. If you need higher, then buy the board that would need that type of memory.

I prefer to keep it simple. I'd hate to buy memory and find it didn't work in my motherboard. I'd prefer to get what is supported. Just my view.

I do remember when using SIMMS back in the 486 days, that they were either 80ns or70ns, and if you had a mix it would run at the slower. I never know nowadays, since the amount of different types of memory available gives me a headache :wall:

I would air on the side of caution and stick to the DDR2 - 533.
I agree. While technically anything above that should scale itself down to the proper speed, you do risk running into problems especially if it's cheaper RAM. Note that when putting RAM into a system, if they are different speeds, the MB will want to run all of the RAM at the speed of the RAM in slot 1. So, if you put a 533 in one and a 667 in the other both will run at 533, but if you flip them your computer will either not boot or act very strangely (because of the attempt to force 533 to 667).

I could be wrong on the details there...but the safest bet is to always go with what your motherboard asks supports.