OpenOffice Problems with Mandriva 2008

menendez

What version did you install? MDV live or Free, Gnome or KDE? Do you encounter this problen when you mount from the live CD? And did you have a chance to update your programs? I saw that after installation of 2008.0 a new OO version was found in the repos.

Mandriva One KDE.

I did accept an update off the repo.

How do I install off the Live CD?

Open Office in Mandriva by default has several European languages installed by default, the idea is to be as widely accessible to as many people as possible with little extra download or configuration. Likely somewhere (as Nexus pointed out) you've got your settings set to Greek, which I'm guessing is one of the languages it comes with. Your best bet is to find where your settings are set to greek, and change them. Another way around this would be to open the Mandriva Control Centre, go to 'Package Management', and type in "openoffice" in your search bar at the top. You should then have a list of all the packages under openoffice which are installed. There will be several language packages ticked, simply untick everything that you don't need. I only really need english. but as my wife speaks German I've left that on our box. My Language settings are all set to English, but I could change them to German anytime I needed to. This is also a good way to free up extra space being used by things which you don't need. Good luck!

The default OOo interface that appears is the one that your system uses. If the menus are in Greek, then you have (mistakenly?) configured your locales as Greek.

locale -a

will give you a description of the locales that are installed, and used.

You can switch OOo inteface by installing by hand the analogous module, and the you can switch interface/speller/vocabulary via thew program settings.

Do you want Spanish, English/US or what?

Edited by scarecrow

Problem solved.

Interestingly it was actually my KDE Font selection and not any setting in OO.

I was using Standard Symbol font which all other applications interpreted as the English alphabet.

OO was the only app to intpretet this font as the greek alphabet.

I went to a Windows machine and navigated through to the OO language settings menu.

Then, I went back to Mandriva and repeated these steps in OO and I could tell that the language setting was indeed US english.

That is when I went off and investigated the KDE font setting.

Thanks for all the responses.