kernel errors with WD sata drive

Guest Analog

Hello,

i installed mandriva 2008 on brand new hardware about a week ago.

today, during an hd intensive operation (amarok scanning my music collection),

the system slowed to a crawl and the kernel complained with the following messages.

Now.... the question is, should i be worried about my data?

or do you think this is a configuration error i can do something about?

the drive is a WDC WD3200KS, and i had set SATA mode to AHCI in my bios.

(default was IDE mode, maybe there was a good reason for it?)

MB is an ABIT IP35 Pro.

Any pointers welcome,

Chris

kernel/errors.log:

Oct 20 15:21:19 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x1 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: (irq_stat 0x40000008)

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: cmd 60/20:00:89:cb:a0/00:00:04:00:00/40 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data 16384 in

Oct 20 15:21:24 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x1 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

Oct 20 15:21:56 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: (irq_stat 0x40000008)

kernel/warnings.log:

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex):

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 75834721

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: res 41/40:00:61:25:85/5e:00:04:00:00/40 Emask 0x9 (media error)

Oct 20 15:22:00 fluxlan last message repeated 5 times

kernel/info.log:

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: ata5: EH complete

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 625142448 512-byte hardware sectors (320073 MB)

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00

Oct 20 15:21:21 fluxlan kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

Oct 20 15:21:57 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133

Oct 20 15:21:57 fluxlan kernel: ata5: EH complete

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: ata5: EH complete

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: 72 03 11 04 00 00 00 0c 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 00

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: 00 85 25 61

Oct 20 15:21:58 fluxlan kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed

Get the Western Digital hard drive tool from their sight and test your drive with their software. It will tell you if there is an error in the drive and they will exchange it for a new one if it is under warranty.

WD's have had an increase in defective drives over the last 2 years. And no, they will not recover your data. You'll have do to that your self. B)

thanks, i'll try their bootable cd option later. (i'm windows-free for years),

just to confirm my findings with smartmontools:

197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 198 198 000 Old_age Always - 121

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error

# 1 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 133 75819673

# 2 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 132 75833684

doesn't look good! looks like a dying drive indeed, i guess i was in denial since it was

new :)

oh well, hopefully it will last until monday when i'll try to get a replacement...

Chris

Get rid of them... that simple.

I used to have TWO recent WD disks (both WD SATA WD5000AAKS), and both had problems just a couple of weeks after purchasing (bad sectors etc).

I admit that the new generation of WD HD's are fast, but their reliability is close to zero...

I replaced both- one with a Samsung, and the other one with a Hitachi 500G HD, and I am happy again... or at least I think so.

Unlike Scarecrow I have used WD exclusively since 1998 and have used four 8gbs (Raid 0+1), four 40gbs, two 80gbs and two 120gbs sata II (now over 2yrs old). 3 of the early 8gbs failed a year ago.

I have installed well over one and a half dozen WD HDDs in other peoples computers from 5yrs ago up to the last one 18months ago. None of these has failed or even given any signs of trouble ever.

I have only ever used the 7200rpm versions and I do not buy the economy models. Ones that I buy have 3 year or 5 year warranty, the SATAs that I chose have 5year warrantys ( these are factory warrantys and not purchased extended warrantys.

Remember you get only what you pay for. So far as I am concerned WD has earned its place at the top of my list.

Am I just lucky ???. I don't think so.

Cheers. John.

I see that Scarecrows WD 500gbs had a 3yr warranty. They duly replaced them didn't they or did you get refunds. If you didn't persist with them being replaced then that is your choice and not WDs problem. Where is the proof that WD reliability is Zero. WD were offering 3 and 5 year warrantys long before the others. They certainly would not be commercially suicidal to offer such long warrantys if their products couldn't stand up to it. Why do you think companys have warranty periods ???. Simply because when they are manufacturing millions of devices per year, even with the most extreme quality control there will still be items that will fail ahead of expected life for some reason or other.

If one can't accept that and prefers also to listen to the rants of others that cannot accept reality then there is nothing that WD or any other manufacturer can do to please them.

JB.

Edited by AussieJohn

OT:

FWIW, John, Western Digital themselves have acknowledged that some of their newer manufacturers have not produced a product up to par. Data recovery businesses know that part of the WD problem is that specific parts used to build a specific model number in their line are dependent upon where the drive was built and not the model number. That means from a business perspective, their quality control problem can be traced to poor tracking on their production vendors. I do not see why anyone would make up such a thing, particularly WD themselves. I am glad that you have not experienced any problems with WD. Unfortunately, many other people (including myself and WD) have seen a change in their product.

I usually use Seagate, I have had some trouble in the past with WD drives dying on me, 2 or 3 of them within 6 months, 1 within a week, 1 didn't even work full stop, I don't usually worry about warranty as it's far quicker and less hassle to just go and buy another one, plus the one that lasted under a week, and the one that was DOA, had an abrupt meeting with a concrete floor, so I don't think they would have given any warranty after that :unsure: .

But what makes me a little sad, is just the other day I went and brought 4 new 250GB hard drives, I wanted Seagate, but they only had WD, so I got 4 of them, then I came across this thread, and my heart sank as I recalled my own experiences with WD, and wondered how I could be so stupid :wall: , I could have just waited a week until they got the Seagate drives in for me, but no :screwy: . I haven't installed them yet, this weekend I will see.

Chances are you'll probably be OK. Best not to think the worst.

I have 2 x 160GB seagates in my machine, but I have them mirrored in case something goes wrong. I just hope both don't go at the same time, and leave me time to buy a new one and replace them should anything bad happen.

The key thing here is that anyone can have problems with any hardware, regardless of manufacturer. I hate maxstor's because I had problems with them - as well as they are noisy as hell (unless that has changed now), but ix uses them and hasn't had any problems. People use WD and don't have any problems, and some do. I also won't buy IBM disks because of friends experiencing quick failures with them. And it just wasn't one friend, but a few. Both the worst and the best fail, fact of life.

heh, well, choosing a hard drive can be an exercise in superstition, it's hard to keep up with new models

if you're not buying a hard drive every other month, and even the best drive you can get, can, and will fail !

all i can recommend to anyone reading this thread is to install smartmontools, and start monitoring your drives

the day you install them.

it's really easy:

urpmi smartmontools

edit /etc/smartd.conf, specify your drives, keep smartd running, and watch your logs.

or run: smartctl -a /dev/sda (replace sda with your hd device) for all information/errors

so far i have no errors with a new drive, all i get is similar to this:

smartd[3324]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 35 to 36

so far, so good...

when smartd begins to print errors related to bad sectors, read errors, relocated sectors (bad

sectors mapped to spare ones), you may have a few days left to backup :)

it can be a bit scary getting messages from smartd, but better be prepared ...