install "make"

Guest Spartan06

Guest Spartan06

This may seem like a total noob question, and it is frustrating that I have to waste your guys' time asking this, but here we go. I am running the "totally free" version of Mandriva 2008 from the official website.

I was trying to install my bcm43xx wireless chip and I managed to figure that out. I got to a step where the instruction told me to run "make installfw" however it told me that "make:command not found". I finally found out that apparently I didn't have "make" installed (isn't "make" supposed to be standard? How do you install programs other wise?! :wall: )

In any case I found a post of some forum saying that I need to go to the software installation manager, search for make, and install it from there. I got to that point and all I found was "makedev" and it was already installed. I have the official install cd it is called "Mandriva One", but I don't have access to a wired internet connection where I am now. Only wireless. I can dual boot into windows and download things there, I can burn cds there as well.

So my question is how do I install the make command on Mandriva without being able to access the internet on linux, only on windows?

Thank you for your time

Edited by Spartan06

as root (type su followed by you password) in a terminal: urpmi make or from the mandriva control go to install software and install make but my guess is there has to be an easier way to get your wireless working but I dont have wireless, so I dont know....

Welcome to MUB btw :D

ps: see http://wiki.mandrivausers.org/index.php/Software_management on how to install software

Edited by ffi

Guest Spartan06

Ok I'll try that, be back in about a minute...

Edit: Ok so it seems that urpmi is not installed either...

rpm is apparently installed. So is there a place where I can find the rpm for make?

Edit2: Ok I found a make for Mandriva 2007 at rpm.pbone.net called "make-3.81-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm"

I did double clicked it and it said it had a bad signature but I installed anyway.

make installfw gave me a a bunch of errors along the lines of

"if! [-d /lib/firmware ]; then mkdir -p /lib/firmware;"

then a whole bunch of these

"install: cannot create regular file '/lib/firmware/bcm43xxpcm.fw': Permission denied"

Edited by Spartan06

Ok I'll try that, be back in about a minute...

rpm is apparently installed. So is there a place where I can find the rpm for make?

You can configure your urpmi through the MCC (Mandrive Control Center). I haven't seen the MCC of 2008, but it should be under Software management, then click "Select from where software packages are downloaded" or something like that. From there you'll find your way, if not please come back.

urpmi has to be installed, else something probably went wrong installing (bad burn?) but you have to be root to be able to use it (or see it)

don't use rpm.pbone.net to install rpm's it could mess up your install

Edited by ffi

Guest Spartan06
urpmi has to be installed, else something probably went wrong installing (bad burn?) but you have to be root to be able to use it (or see it)

don't use rpm.pbone.net to install rpm's it could mess up your install

Ok so I went and uninstalled the "make" package under software management. I tried "urpmi make" and it still says "command not found". I tired "gurpmi make" and it gave me some prompts say "would you like the install -make?". I said yes and it said "package could not be found". Then another prompt "package has already been installed".

Not sure what to do next...

EDIT: Seems I forgot the "su: password". I did that and then ran "urpmi make" and it says "no package named make".

Is there a way to get the make package off of the install cd?

Also, I can select other media places to get my software packages/updates from (thats what I understood from manage software in the control center), but I can't get on the internet under linux...only windows.

Edited by Spartan06

Guest Spartan06
urpmi is there for sure... most probably you are not running a ROOT console!

Under a regular, user konsole:

su -c "urpmi make"

(you have to provide the root pass when asked).

Yes I did that, read my above post for the EDIT.

If you install the kernel source package, urpmi will install everything you need to compile stuff. "urpmi kernel-source"

However, I must admit that I think there is something else amiss. All the packages to use either bcm43xx or ndiswrapper are on the dvd/cdrom. You should not be compiling anything. I have used both bcm43xx and ndiswrapper on my laptop, and did not even have to download anything. It was all on the dvd. There is something else wrong with your installation, IMO.

Yep. You do not need to be compiling anything to get your card to work.

Just go to the network configuration tool and it should ask you for a Windows driver to extract firmware from. Feed it a Windows driver. If you don't have one, feed it this:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware

(well, the page is down as I write this, but it's usually up - download the version 3.xx driver, filename wl_apsta.o , and feed that to the network configuration tool). Then just set the usual configuration options for your card, and it should pop right up working.

Guest Spartan06

Well I did as adamw said, but you have to run drakeroam from a terminal in order to get it, as the control center doesn't have any option to configure NICs, however and it seems to have recognized it. However, I cannot seem to connect to my wireless network. I enter the info in the HUI and the terminal will spit some errors at me. I can't remember exactly what they were. Something along the lines of "Failed to initialize....... line (some number)"

I have a Broadcom wireless NIC, which is quite frankly a nightmare piece of hardware. I installed bcmw34xx, which worked, from MCC. I then decided to see if ndiswrapper would be just as easy to install. It was. All I did was type "urpmi ndiswrapper" in a terminal as root, and I could then use ndiswrapper as a driver choice. I did all of this with a fresh installation and no network access until I brought the wireless up. (It is a peeve of mine to have to ac cess the internet in order to get a laptop on-line!!)

MCC=>Network and Internet=>Set up a Network interface

Choose the wireless option and follow the steps.

BTW, Mandriva Control Center is also called Configure Your Computer. The Control Center is just for KDE. Use MCC.

• 2 months later...
Guest bigrjsuto

Ok,

So I have basically the same problem with Mandriva '08 and Broadcom.

I tried the MCC and went to the ndiswrapper to choose a windows driver, but when I try to open it I get :

no device supporting the wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o ndiswrapper is present.

Then i click OK and it then tells me I should upgrade ndiswrapper.

But in order to upgrade ndiswrapper I need make to work

I typed "man make"

and it shows all the folders that's associate with it.

But in MCC i see the makedev package.

I select it and click Apply. It tells me that "You need to select some packages first"

Then I just try to uncheck it. It tells me "Sorry,the following package cannot be selected: - makedev-4.4-2mdv2008.0.noarch"

Please help. I'm getting to the point of quitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You to all above,

I went to MCC, to check the installation for UPRMI. It had aleady been installed.

Then as told in above replies, i went to command prompt and typed su followed by password when prompted.

thereafter went to folder where i had copied the "make-3.81-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm" file.

I typed uprmi make-3.81-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm (simply used tab button)

Finally after abt 4 days of searching the procedure, my make got installed.

phew... Thanks again.