Cutting mpg videos

arctic

I have collected some small (1-3 MB), funny mpg-videos from all over the web and want make one single mpg video out of them (so I can show my brother all the ouches and hahas with one click rather than with 50 single clicks). Now, the question is: which software that is included in Mdv 2008 might be the best one for such a task? Kino is, I guess, too much/complicated and not designed primarily for editing mp3 files. Is there any little, funny gnome tool that can do this easy task with a few clicks? I am rather a noob when it comes to video editing. :rolleyes:

I have collected some small (1-3 MB), funny mpg-videos from all over the web and want make one single mpg video out of them (so I can show my brother all the ouches and hahas with one click rather than with 50 single clicks). Now, the question is: which software that is included in Mdv 2008 might be the best one for such a task? Kino is, I guess, too much/complicated and not designed primarily for editing mp3 files. Is there any little, funny gnome tool that can do this easy task with a few clicks? I am rather a noob when it comes to video editing. :rolleyes:

There are lots of packages for this in Windows but not much in Linux. What about this?

http://varsha.sourceforge.net/

Just did some research and first and foremost, I was simply too stupid for using kino correctly. Heh... :mellow:

It does work perfectly. And I found out that there are some nice alternatives apart from kdenlive like cinerella, ahshaka or avidemux, too. Geez... lots of new things to explore. :)

Just did some research and first and foremost, I was simply too stupid for using kino correctly. Heh... :mellow:

It does work perfectly. And I found out that there are some nice alternatives apart from kdenlive like cinerella, ahshaka or avidemux, too. Geez... lots of new things to explore. :)

Well, believe it or not, if all you want to do is string a whole bunch of MPG videos together one after the other, the only tools you need are a terminal session and the 'cat' command. As an example, if you have 5 MPG videos you want to put together, you can do this:

cp smallvid1.mpg bigvid.mpg

cat smallvid2.mpg >> bigvid.mpg

cat smallvid3.mpg >> bigvid.mpg

cat smallvid4.mpg >> bigvid.mpg

cat smallvid5.mpg >> bigvid.mpg

If you then play bigvid.mpg using your favourite multimedia app, you'll have all 5 one after the other.

The cli almost works, except that when I play the file, only the first of e.g. three parts works. After the first, there is an error on the format reported (I tried the command on three wmv files)

Is there a way in Kino to adjust the play-speed of the video? When I import the videos, they are replayed with triple speed or so... :unsure: Haven't found the trick for that yet.

The cli almost works, except that when I play the file, only the first of e.g. three parts works. After the first, there is an error on the format reported (I tried the command on three wmv files)

I've found that the cat command works with mpgs but not wmvs...

I came across these commands to merge wmvs into an avi, if that helps:

# first solution

concat *.wmf to a avi-file:
cat *.wmv | mencoder - -oac copy -ovc copy -ofps 25 -o blub.avi

# second solution

mencoder file1.wmv -ovc lavc -oac lavc -ofps 25 -srate 48000 -o file1.avi
mencoder file2.wmv -ovc lavc -oac lavc -ofps 25 -srate 48000 -o file2.avi
avimerge -i file1.avi file2.avi -o blub.avi

Haven't actually tried them yet. :)