CUPS printing

mindwave

and yet I have THE most difficult time setting up networked printers in my linux boxes.

I'm assuming from my reading that CUPS is what I want right?

both printers are on HP jet directs and a 3rd is on a netgear USB print server

i have tried letting cups scan the network aND it never finds anything

i've tried MANUALLY inserting the ip addresses, no go.

now I know one of my sticking points is that i'm not sure of the "protocol?" IPP, HTTP?

again i'm nototally new, but this has ALWAYS been trial and error for me.

one of the printers is an HP LJ4 which is DEFINATELY old enough to be supported.

the newest one, is a samsung ml 2010, but Samsung even provides a driver for theur printers for Linux.

now I HAVE gotten them printing in the past (MONTHS ago) and I dont even remember the distro I was using (fedora? Suse? MDV? Xandros?)

and they all print from my windows boxes, so i know they work....

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

j

CUPS (Can't Usually Print S#%t) is the needed tool OK, but you will also need hplip installed and running as a backend. And of course they SHOULD be shared on the windows rigs they are hooked at.

ok hplip is NOT installed (that I know of) so i can take care of that when i get home tonight.

but see they are NOT hooked up to windows pc's they are hanging directly off the network with real live HP jet directs.

thats why i cant understand why this is so difficult for me. it should be a snap!

Take a look here
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

i don't know if you're printer is supported but it works for my HP photosmart 2575 which is connected on the router.

ok now this is getting frustrating.

my HP LJ 4 claims to be installed properly by CUPS

I used Samsungs unified linux driver to install my wifes Samsung ML 2010.

again CUPS says its installed exactly right.

in both cases, BOTH printers are reported as installed properly, CUPS sees them both.

I send a test opage from CUPS and it claims that both of them were sent just fine

but nothing comes out!!!!!

the REALLY frustrating part is that they are both on the network and they are BOTH installed without ANY Issues from my wifes Linux pc with a similar Distro (hers is mdv free, mine is power pak, both 2007.1

I did install the hp package for my printer, but its so old, i dont tnhink it was require.

The HP is plugged into ye olde HP Jet Direct and prints fine from my XP pc

the samsung, is plugged into a netgear USB print server, but again. my wifes linux pc works fine, and both our xp pc's print!

aany additional ideas, i'd appreciate.

j