Mandriva Linux 2008 Beta 2 released

dexter11

The second beta of Mandriva Linux 2008, codenamed Galilee, is now available. The release notes are available here. A guide to major new features (some of which are not yet implemented in this beta) is available here, and the detailed technical specifications are available here. This beta is available as a three CD or one DVD Free edition (containing no non-free software or drivers) for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, with a traditional installer. Future betas will be available in One live/install CD hybrid editions with proprietary drivers.

You can read about known issues on the Errata page.

source: mandrivaclub.com

Very interesting what they do right now. especially the cooperation between Mandriva and Fedora in implementing udev as well as the new migration tools and the collaborative work on the hardware database deserve some merit imho. I guess I will give 2008 a try on my laptop once it is released.

Sure...

udev cooperation

Overhaul udev initialization and usage

Mandriva Linux 2008 will adopt the Fedora initialization system for udev, allowing us to work together in this area and reducing the shared burden of maintenance. This will also allow udev to be used for 'PCI coldplugging' - the initialization of permanently connected PCI devices at boot time.

I installed it from the hybrid CD on a VMWare virtual machine. Installation went fine, but only for 32-bit: 64-bit was freezing right from the start (and yes, I've configured the guest properly in VMWare- I have installed plenty of 64-bit guests...).

It's really nice looking, and rather stable (for Cooker), although there aren't much of anything in the mini iso.

However, the graphical package installer is simply broken (freezing all the time, I even had to hit reset once). urpmi via console is also randomly freezing the system, for some reason.

Haven't installed any major desktop yet, just icewm which comes with it. It looks quite pretty, and the localization is exhellent, as always.

I cannot understand why it's packed without ANY filemanager (rox, emelfm, or any one you can mention- not even Midnight Commander!).

Another very annoying thing is that the login manager (a heavily modded gdm) does not offer console login as an option! Why?

It looks to me like an interesting alpha, but I wouldn't call that thing a "beta2". Too buggy for its own good.

Edited by scarecrow

The mini ISO is intended as a base install to be added on to. There's simply no space for any more packages.

rpmdrake and urpmi aren't crashing here...you'd better file a bug if you want that to be fixed, as it's not a known problem.

Why should a graphical log in manager offer a console login? If you want to login to a console, hit ctrl-alt-F1...

Why is there a login manager on the mini ISO at all?

Ummm... that's a difficult one, so let me guess: logging into the window manager, probably? :P

You'd rather ask why things like shorewall and oki4daemon are installed by default and loaded at startup using a mini ISO... this would certainly make more sense.

Currently, I'm trying to find out why thunar is segfaulting right out of the box...

It seems hal related, but the strace output is not very clear. I may submit this one as a bug as well.

Edited by scarecrow