SLI and Mandriva

Ixthusdan

I recently had the opportunity (thanks, RadioEar) to acquire a Gigabyte board and two video cards in order to run an SLI set up. They are a GA-M55SLI-S4 and two GeForce 7600GS video cards. The nvidia drivers can work in Linux for running SLI, according to what I have read. But, everytime I begin the process with Mandriva, I lose video. The machine acts as if the screen is there; but it is not. I can switch to a virtual console and reboot the machine, but it is all blind. I thought perhaps the packaged drivers were at fault, so I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia's sight and had it working just fine (Doom 3), until I rebooted! Now I have the same issue, no screen with a running machine. Any body doing this?

I had an SLI setup but never ran into any issues, however that wasn't in Mandriva. What's the process you are going through to set it up? IIRC, I simply had to install the NVIDIA drivers and add one line to xorg.conf, are you doing more than that?

Thanks, guys. :P

I had previously read the nvidia guide and did as instructed. Both the cards are recognized by Mandriva because when I set up the machine, it offers to run each card independently or run one card or the other. The cards work independently prior to installing the nvidia driver. I can reboot the machine and see it all using vesa. But, as soon as I use the nvidia driver, it all goes south. The driver does not recognize my monitor correctly. This could be because I am using a dvi/vga adapter. The cards only came with dvi out for panels.

Fedora works fine with their nvidia build drivers. But I would rather use Mandriva because i am familiar with it.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested, there are three steps to successfully getting SLI working in Mandriva. This assumes you already have an SLI motherboard with two identical SLI capable cards, that you have bridged the cards, and that you have set the jumpers on the motherboard.

1. Install the Nvidia driver.

2. Edit xorg.conf to include the SLI option and eliminate twinview.

3. Go into nvidia-settings and tic the SLI option, which only shows up after all the other edits are done.

You must do all of these or you will have no video when you reboot. I recommend launching in command line mode until after the setup is complete.