CD Burning-CD's work in one player but not another

emh

Hello

I burnt an audio CD using E-roaster. It seemed to burn fine. I tried playing it in my main CD player, but the player wouldn't play it, not even acknowledge that a CD was there. I then tried it in my portable CD player and it played just fine.

I then tried to burn the same CD using GCombust. It also seemed to burn fine. It still didn't work using my CD player on my home stereo, but it worked just fine on my portable CD. I tried a Journey CD on my main CD player and it worked just fine. I thought maybe my main player doesn't like burned CD's. I then tried a CD that I burned before I started using Linux, and it also worked just fine.

So now I have two burned CD's that will play in one CD player but not another. How is this possible? Is there an option I should have made sure was checked? I think I'll try to burn the same CD in Windows to see if there's a difference.

But perhaps there is something I missed. If it makes any difference, I have an Iomega ZipCD RW drive which burns at 8x.

[edit: Sheesh, I can't type today]

What speed did you burn it at?

I've found that burning at faster than, say, 4x when it comes to audio CDs is not a good idea because some CD players can't read that fast. I believe there is actual technical proof to backup this point, but I don't really know where you could find it.

I also think the age of the player is a possible reason for read failure. Older units are less precise in their reading than newer units. Is the home stereo older?

I've had many cases where older CD ROM drives didn't read burnt cd's well at all. I agree with Ixthusdan on that one!

Also have seen times where transparency of the CD is an issue. If you can hold the CDR up to the light and see through it easily, some players won't read it well. To work around that those "stick-on" CD labels sometimes help.

I think some cd player lasers are not as precise as others and more subject to having read problems with certain colors and finishes on the CDR's too. I don't do too many audio cd's but have experience with hundreds of multimedia cdr's for presentations, training, etc. and have seen the problem you are describing often. It is a pain! Hope these suggestions help a bit.

Thanks for the replies. :D

After a little investigation, I've come to the conclusion that the rest of you seemed to have already reached. :wink: I went ahead and tried burning the CD in Windows, and had the exact same problem. I tried my Linux burned CD's on my dad's CD player and it worked just fine. So I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work on others CD players.

What I was doing was creating a CD of audio clips because a group my dad is in is doing a trivia night, and they have a category where they have to identify an audio clip. My CD player is an older player. I'm betting that the old CD player can't read tracks that close together (they were only 10-20 seconds long each). It would explain why previously burned CD's (which had full songs on them) worked just fine.

I'm just happy to find out that the problem wasn't my CD burner or with Linux. Just my older CD player. Perhaps it's time to buy a new one....

Ya, it depends a great deal on the type of dye used and the reflective coating and track spacing (not song length but capacity wise (650MB vs. 700MB) on the CDR. I picked up a whole wack of Kodak gold CDRs (phthalocyanine dye, gold reflective layer, 650MB capacity) just before they were discontinued. Those work well in older CD players. I believe they still sell a similar type of CD just for audio applications (at a higher price then they sold the data CDRs for).

Glitz.