Firefox2 [solved]

malfist

How can I install Firefox 2? I've got the tar file and the dependancies (FF2 has one more than FF1.5) but I can't figure out how to update or install it. When I try to run the updater I get this:

[root@localhost firefox]# ./updater

Usage: updater <dir-path> <parent-pid> [working-dir callback args...]

If I understand correctly, the updater is just for Firefox to use internally. To install this, you just need to extract it to a good place (mine is in ~) and just adjust your menu item to run ~/firefox/firefox (if that's where it is). If you have more than one user on your system, I think you can create a directory called /usr/lib/firefox2 (or whatever) and copy all the files and directories from inside the tarball and create a symlink in /usr/bin like this (as root in a console):

rm -f /usr/bin/firefox

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox2/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

and update your menu items accordingly if needed. I'm not 100% sure about this, because I think the last time I tried it didn't work because the real /usr/bin/firefox is not a symlink, but a script that runs firefox. You may try to just adjust the script to point to the right place.

It *should* still use your user's firefox profile so you still have all your old stuff (bookmarks, extensions, themes, etc) that is compatible.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

How can I install Firefox 2? I've got the tar file and the dependancies (FF2 has one more than FF1.5) but I can't figure out how to update or install it. When I try to run the updater I get this:

Why not install/update from the repositories?

Thats the easiest and safest way.

Hi malfist,

I'd like to continue orts' line: if you are using Mandriva, the easiest way to install and update software is through the MCC - Mandriva Control Center. You can search there for Firefox 2 and install it very easily.

If you need any more guidance regarding how to do that, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if one needs to uninstall FF1 before installing FF2. I do know that when I upgraded my FF, I used the MCC. I just looked for the FF2 and marked it. Maybe in the process of installation FF1 was first uninstalled, though I find it hard to believe. And it all works fine now.

Hard to believe, especially if they share the same user profile.
I've had the 1.5 version which came with 2006, i've installed the 2.0 version of MCNL. Both worked perfectly, i removed 1.5 and there were no problems with 2.0

Mayby i'm luckey B)

It's not a matter of "luck"... some extensions for 1.X won't work for 2.X and vice versa, and the configuration of these two editions ( about:config in the FF address bar ) is not identical - so there WILL be problems. But how serious they will be remains to be seen, and depends on usage.

Safest is using different user profiles- in that case you can use many FF instances without any danger.

Mandriva packages for Firefox 1.x and 2.x won't 'co-exist', 2.x replaces 1.x. You can have 1.x installed from a Mandriva package and then install 2.x in your home directory from a mozilla.org tarball, or something, but then you'll have the problems scarecrow indicated, if you try and switch between the two.

I currently have 1.x. If I install 2.x will it reformat my profiles for me or do I have to start over again? I have a few people using this thing, and I don't want to blow away their configs.

How about going back to Plan B after it makes a mess in the bed? Is that possible?

Thanks

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Well, I guess that was an academic question for me. I have all my urpmi sources set up, main, contrib, updates, both PLF's and all the CD's and when I search for "firefox 2" it comes up with nothing.

Maybe it just isn't available on Mandy 2006. Is that the real name of it, or should I be searching for something else?

As far as keeping applications up to date, Linux still sucks. The last time I tried to do this sort of thing I had to upgade the whole OS in order to install the upgraded apps. I love my Linux, but that really sucks.

Banjo

(_)=='=~