New Installation

Guest scorp3000

Guest scorp3000

Installing in Intel Desktop Board D975XBX Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 3 500 GB independent SATAII drives, NVIDIA 7800GT. Have already LinuxMint, PCLinuxOS and Suse 10.3 Alpha5 installed. Thanks for any tips. Right now Suse owns the Grub and recognizes my other two distros. Want to erase Suse and install Mandriva. Thanks a lot.

It should, but I would make a copy of the current setup and st wit in an area that can be recalled later. That way, if needed, you can manually make any entries. Personally, I always manually edit either lilo or grub when adding other operating systems.

Guest scorp3000
It should, but I would make a copy of the current setup and st wit in an area that can be recalled later. That way, if needed, you can manually make any entries. Personally, I always manually edit either lilo or grub when adding other operating systems.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I have a copy of Suse's menu.lst and fstab to /home/<username> in Suse's partition. I guess I'm OK to go then. I could also reinstall Suse's or Mint's Grub if things don't go as expected. I'm looking forward to try Mandriva. Thanks.

Edited by scorp3000

Suse 10.3 is using kernel 2.6.21.X, so it's GRUB configuration will not be terribly good for Mandriva Grub ( because since kernel 2.6.19 the device nodes for IDE harddisks are /dev/sdx and not /dev/hdx anymore). But if your system is all-SATA, you will get away with it.

Guest scorp3000
Mandriva doesn't create grub entries for other distros automatically though it detects and adds Windows partitions. But it has a GUI to add Grub entries so it shouldn't be very hard.

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the tips.

and if you have grub installed for the other distro(s), you should be able to just grab the entries for the menu.lst (usually in /boot/grub/) and put them in the Mandriva file. This way you don't have to try to recreate them yourself - you should be able to just grab them from the SuSE GRUB file.

Guest scorp3000
and if you have grub installed for the other distro(s), you should be able to just grab the entries for the menu.lst (usually in /boot/grub/) and put them in the Mandriva file. This way you don't have to try to recreate them yourself - you should be able to just grab them from the SuSE GRUB file.

Excellent recommendation. Thanks.