HDD disk partitioning [solved]

Demon

If you are using tools for Windows like partition magic, you have to scan the disk for errors first, and also defragment. Most of the time errors reported are because of this. And as far as I remember you can resize Windows partitions in Mandriva's disk partition manager.

Yep, it just recognises a linux partition, but usually not the filesystem within it. Use Partition Magic for Windows stuff, let Linux partioning tools do the Linux stuff. Although, Mandy's partitioner will resize Windows partitions, providing you have scanned them for errors and defragmented first. Else you might not be able to resize to the minimum size you want if data is in the way.

I don't think you understand me well, I'll try to be more precise:

My goal is to move the NTFS partition. I can't do that with Mandriva's tools, I can only resize NTFS partition. Tools that can do that are QTparted, Gparted, Partition Magic, etc. However, my HDD's partition table got screwed up so those partitioning programs report erors (partition overlaping) and can not see the partitions on my HDD. I believe that this has something to do with the /boot partition I made. So, I thought of deleting that partition (and maybe Windows reinstall) will make my HDD's partition table readable again. But the problem is I don't know how to restore boot to Mandriva again. Will manualy copying the content of /boot partition to Mandriva's root partition and then changing fstab be allright?

Edited by Demon

?

You have lost me as to 1) what you have done to your drive, 2) what result you are trying to get, and 3) what you are doing now. I think that you should try to stay on one track and get results before spinning your wheels doing whatever it is you are doing.

What did you do that Mandriva won't boot? Also, I think you should understand that these tools are Linux tools and not just Mandriva tools. If every tool mentioned in this thread, whether Windows or Linux, has not worked on yuor drive, then the hardware is at fault. Replace the drive. B)

Sounds more like the partitions are screwed. If you don't have any data you want to keep, then why don't you just start everything completely from a clean install. You just mentioned reinstalling Windows again.

I suggest you clear all partitions from your drive. Then install Windows and make sure the partition size is what you need and don't allocate the full disk to the system. That way you don't have to resize or move anything later. Then install Linux again, and go from there.

Your partition table is screwed, it's unlikely you're gonna be able to do anything with it, so you need to start from clean.

Oh, and moving partitions isn't as easy as that. First with Linux you cannot move them, because when the beginning block changes, you lose all the data. I don't know how Windows tools work, but I can bet they work the same way.

lol, things are getting better and better!

I can not read the partition table of device sda, it's too corrupted for me :(

I can try to go on, erasing over bad partitions (ALL DATA will be lost!).

The other solution is to not allow DrakX to modify the partition table.

(the error is extended partition: reading of partition in sector 4316012446 failed.

)

Do you agree to lose all the partitions?

:lol:

I've deleted that boot partition, and partition table is totaly screwed. Ooops... But I can read my disk fine, all partitions are here and data is intact.

Well, it's done! :D :D :D I've managed to repair the partition table!

I booted into Windows and installed some "Partition Table Doctor" (God blessed it's programer!), which simply fixed my HDD's partition table. Unfortunately, it doesn't see XFS partitions, so I lost mine, but I knew it was going to happen and backed it up (I was going to delete that XFS partition anyway). But then, my Win C partition became sda5, so I had to reinstall Windows (not done yet, actually). So everything is ok now, all Linux partitioning tools can "see my HDD clearly, now"!

And that's it!

My partitions are now 10GB win_c, 20GB win_d, 25-30 GB for win_e (have to move that partition :D ) and 6GB for /. The rest is for /home. I gave up on original idea to make another partition in case I would wanted to install another distro - this will have to wait for another (hopefully larger) hard disk.

Nothing without Knoppix! Really, I couldn't do anything without it (I had to change a couple of times Manriva's fstab, and after every action I take I would booted Knoppix just to check the status of my HDD), so I recommend it to everyone - It won't hurt if you have it somewhere on a shelf. You never know when you might need it.

Still haven't reinstalled Windows completely (I'm on a half way to finish it, but Windows installation, unlike installation of Mandriva, is so boring and takes so long... doh!!!) but there's no reason for something more to go wrong now.

I'll mark this topic as resolved now.

THANK YOU ALL GUYS, who stood behind and giving me support! :thanks:

:luv:

:tux::headbang:

:mandriva: forever!

P. S. Gosh how I like these smileys! :mr-green::cheesy: