mandriva control center

neighborlee

Does the mandriva control center run? Anyway you can disable the hourglass in the kde control center (kcontrol from a konsole) in Appearance and Themes->Launch Feedback

It runs yes..but the hourglass thing does too, which leads me to believe something is wrong ?

( or is it just something kde does but does not take up resources ? )

thx

lee

It runs yes..but the hourglass thing does too, which leads me to believe something is wrong ?

I believe you missed ffi's point? Go to Appearance and Themes->Launch Feedback and uncheck 'Enable taskbar notifacation'. Your hourglass will vanish!

I believe you missed ffi's point? Go to Appearance and Themes->Launch Feedback and uncheck 'Enable taskbar notifacation'. Your hourglass will vanish!

I did not miss the point..if I goto mcc and do as you all suggest..yes it does vanish, BUT the 'configure your computer' on the kde panel is still there [ right next to the 'mandriva control center' one, - and clearly stilll doing 'something'..question is what and how many resources is it taking up..I dont get this in gnome and frankly it bothers me and makes me think kde is borked because MCC is already up and running so what is this needed for ? ;)

thx

lee

Edited by neighborlee

I'm not sure I understand your problem? Close the 'Mandriva control center' and go to System > Configuration > KDE > Appearance and Themes > Launch Feedback, and the only thing that should be on your KDE kicker is 'Configure-KDE Control Module' while your making the change.

hi greg,

I changed to 'no busy cursor' and while it did work, it cauess kde to crash kde panel and I have to logouit/in..odd but , I guess kde 3.5 isn't stable so I guess I question 3.5 as a choice for the One cd ?

Even with no busy cursor, I still get the 'configure contrrol center' 'tab' showing up on the kde panel WITH the hourglass cleary moving ON this t ab...why does this even happen is this just how kde works ?? ( gnome never does this but maybe it happens in the background ?? )

thx

lee

I'm sorry, but I have never used Mandriva One. I guess we should have cleared this version thing up earlier? :huh:

Maybe someone here that uses Mandriva One can be of more help? :)

Edited by Greg2

There are 2 tools which are nice gui programs: the KDE Center and the Mandriva Control Center. Both of these rely upon KDE components to operate. When you have a Mandriva Gnome system, there are still certain KDE components installed for the MCC, Mandriva Control Center.

The KDE tool does not launch all of the specialized Mandriva tools that are launched by the MCC. These are 2 different things. One makes changes to the desktop, where the other really makes system changes. If you have installed KDE Utilites, then there are some additional tools which are KDE specific. One can make changes in the KDE panel as a normal user, but changes in MCC and KDE Utilites must be made as the root user.

For clarity, which of these 3 are you talking about?

As far as background processes, it is true that KDE runs a bountiful amount of processes, followed by Gnome as a close second. But, neither of them have the overhead of MS Windows!

As noted in my very first post, I was running MCC and noted the oddity of the busy cursor, there lasting for nearly a minute and it simply made me think something was wrong wondering what was taking so long to load while the MCC interface itself was already clearly up on the screen with nothing else left undrawn.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but that was my question.

Part of the reason for my perception of this issue right or wrong, is that windows control panel loads and no busy cursor remains running for any length of time after its up on the screen ( faik anyway unless its also in the background and not saying so similar to possibly gnome in that regard ? )

I just like to know what my computer is doing basically and this had me wondering a bit..

thx all

nl

OK

I decided to launch my MCC and take a look. I get a background busy indicator for about 30 seconds after the gui is up. It is shorter if I launch a program, like software updates. Then it stops being busy, even if I go back to the main screen. I guess the tools are all loading so that you can launch any of them quicker. But I never noticed it before, and it seems to be doing what your system is doing. It is apparently not "wrong" but I still do not know for sure why it is the case. I'll go into Gnome now.

Gnome loads its gui's faster, along with the MCC. So my guess is that it is a KDE specific thing, and I have no idea why.

I can only guess here but I think this hourglass in KDE is purely for satisfy Windows users who doesn't get feedback in an amount of time starts to worry. It should work the way that when you launch something it starts the hourglass and this part is working as it should but when the application is actually started it should send back a message to stop the hourglass. Now this is the problematic part due to the numerous window managers, desktop environments and widget sets running on Linux. There is no unified way to do that and honestly a GNOME application developer doesn't really care about stopping the hourglass in KDE in the right time. But it works with KDE apps. I just launched Konqueror and Krusader and the hourglass did what it should started and stopped in the right time.

So this is the reason IMHO why is there an hourglass long after MCC actually started.