Mandriva 2007.0 resolution issues

rohitsz

Greetings there,

My desktop has mandriva installed on it.Some how its resolution has gone corrupt(the hardware guy said so).I got my monitor checked on another system, where it works perfectly fine.

Could someone tell me a way to rework the resolution settings and get to see the normal working state.

Although spring is out, i could upgrade, but i'm wanting to solve this trouble and then upgrade :-)

Thanks,

rohit.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

<edit>

big typo, i own my success to 2007.0 :-), wrote 2006.0 instead.

it has been long time since i faced an issue on mandriva! ;-)

</edit>

Edited by rohitsz

Greetings there,

As root run this from the command line:

XFdrake

Well thanks for the awesome tip, as i did not knew the tool from command line to get to change the resolution :-)

I did try to configure the resolution to the values that i think the monitor supports.

i did this from the failsafe mode as in other two modes(normal and nonfb) i can not see the command line even.

here are pics of what i could do and see...

The XFdrake screen: here looks distorted too...

The post startup messages login screen: here

The login screen starts to look like this just after the mouse with a revolving curve comes and then this screen shows :-(

kindly help what next should i do?

<update>

The good news is i tried a few combinations for the monitor and it seems to work

Thanks agaiin :)

</update>

Thanks,

rohit.

Edited by rohitsz

Greetings there,

<update>

The good news is i tried a few combinations for the monitor and it seems to work

Thanks agaiin :)

</update>

The happiness lasted only a couple of hours...

After an hour or so of work on the system, i get this

What next can i do?

Thanks,

rohit

Would you please state what hardware you are using? Type of video card?

Linux software does not "go corrupt" like a Microsoft windows system. What you are describing is indeed an indication of a hardware problem. But more specifics would be helpful.

Greetings there,

You might have a hardware issue. Do you feel comfortable opening up your computer and reseating your video card?

Yes, i will just do it and respond back :-)

Would you please state what hardware you are using? Type of video card?

The details of the hardware are as follows:

Monitor: IBM G72 17 inches.

Graphics card: Radeon VE 64MB

Also in XFdrake there were 3 options relating to Radeon

1.Radeon-fbdev

2.Radeon-vesa

3.Radeon fglrx

(i might not be correctly remembering the exact second names associated with Radeon)

I had the fglrx selected by default, i tried the other two option, but had to finally settle with the fglrx driver.

The resolution that i had selected were 1024x768 16bpp.

During the console XFdrake, i only got the 16bpp option but when logged in the GUI mode, i could see the 24 bpp option too.

Linux software does not "go corrupt" like a Microsoft windows system. What you are describing is indeed an indication of a hardware problem. But more specifics would be helpful.

I firmly do believe that :-)

Actually i had an argument with the hardware guy who said that its a resolution problem and not the monitor going bust.

But when he connected the monitor to another system, i had to keep mum and nod to his statement :-(

So could it be the graphics card ?

i'll get back with the results of reseating the graphics card.

Thanks,

rohit.

Edited by rohitsz

Yes, the 3D stuff will work best with ATI's proprietary drivers, rather than the Linux drivers. So 3D would explain the issue, if it were running with the Linux drivers. But 2D should be fine. Since you are using a CRT, I think that a higher refresh would be best. While 60 is good for a flat panel, I prefer anything above 70 for a CRT. (Actually, I run 85!) I have a laptop that is running a SiS760GX video section, and it breaks in windows for no reason, but rarely in Linux, although it has gone out in Linux. In my case, it is simply a bad video section. As long as I keep the laptop cool, it works. I think re-seating the video card is the best solution; and then replace the video card if there is no improvement.

Greetings there,

i'll get back with the results of reseating the graphics card.

I did remove and insert the graphics card, but still the refreshing is still not taking place as expected.

It still givs that distorted screen. So at times i have to take a window with a white back ground and do a sweep of the screen with that and i kinda get an extended time to work :P

Is there anything else that can try before going on and buying new hardware?

Thanks,

rohit.

Greetings there,

Yes, the 3D stuff will work best with ATI's proprietary drivers, rather than the Linux drivers. So 3D would explain the issue, if it were running with the Linux drivers. But 2D should be fine. Since you are using a CRT, I think that a higher refresh would be best. While 60 is good for a flat panel, I prefer anything above 70 for a CRT. (Actually, I run 85!) I have a laptop that is running a SiS760GX video section, and it breaks in windows for no reason, but rarely in Linux, although it has gone out in Linux. In my case, it is simply a bad video section. As long as I keep the laptop cool, it works. I think re-seating the video card is the best solution; and then replace the video card if there is no improvement.

My monitor's refresh rate is set to 80 and i can not seem to change that.

Is there a utility with which i can tweak that too?

I could only see it in the GUI mode, but with no option to change it.

Thanks,

rohit.

The driver determines what you can do. I encourage you to install the proprietary driver from ATI so that you have more flexibility. But, I do not think that this is going to correct the immediate problem.