Can't login, KDE destroyed

phatsteve

Help! I can't login anymore. KDE has dissapeared, my login screen has completely changed to MDE! There is no KDE entry in sessions only Icewm, drak3d, default, failsafe,& custom, none of which work.I can login in terminal but when I issue 'startx' all I get is a blue screen with 2 open terminal boxes. This all happened after I after I went here:- www.mde.djura.org and enabled Mandriva Enhanced RPMs. Afterwards there were 119 updates installed, after a reboot nothing worked! At the Grub screen I have tried every kernel option available, still no good.I don't want re-install if I can help it as I had things set up just right.I am using 2007-1 Spring, KDE version. Can anybody please help?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Most likely the update didnt complete because not everything was uploaded, did you use smart and enable all repositories like plf and contrib? Possible something also went wrong with updating your videodriver from a command line run:

smart update

smart upgrade

and see what happens....

if you cannot even get into icewm run XFdrake and select the open source (non propietary driver)

If you are using urpmi instead of smart (as suggested by ffi) then try this in the shell, log in as root and type this

urpmi.removemedia MDE

Next you type

urpme kdebase kdebase-common

You can remove ALL of your kde packages with this command instead, but I don't think this is necessary

rpm -e --nodeps `rpm -qa | grep -i kde | grep 3.5`

After removing type this in the shell

urpmi kdebase kdebase-common kdebase-kdm

Then you should be up and running again.

I've tried this my self and I don't use MDE as a reposity very mouch anymore ;)

Thats because probably you didnt correctly set up your urpmi repositories, urpmi and smart repositories are set up separatedly . Did you use smart like MDE recommended? If so so do:

smart install kdebase kdebase-common kdebase-kdm

and you should be back again

if you really need a graphical enviroment you could install xfce with smart install task-xfce and then start it with startxfce4 (if kdm or gdm don't work) and then fix kde from xfce

Edited by ffi

I hope that you can use ffi's advice, if not you can update urpmi by this command

urpmi.update -a

But it only works if you have set urpmi with source lists from http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php ;)

don't what processor you have but big upgrades can take few minutes on my p4 2.4 Ghz, it might also be possible that mde have disabled the use of the python jit compiler making smart even slower but makes it accept ctrl+c to stop the program (see the smart wiki pages) or you have very little memory:

Speeding up “smart” on low memory systems

Since I started using “smart” instead of “urpmi” in Mandriva, I noticed it was very slow sometimes, when compared to urpmi or apt-get. Today, talking with Niemeyer on #smart, he asked me to try disabling the Psyco Python JIT. It happens that I have a slow system (Pentium II 366MHz) with relatively little memory (128MB), and I need some heavy apps loaded all the time (although using Fluxbox, not KDE).

Psyco is a JIT (just-in-time compiler) for Python, that aims to make apps run faster. Niemeyer says that using it should improve smart speed very good in most systems, and his benchmarks proved that. But reading a little in Psyco docs there is a note: “Drawbacks: Psyco currently uses a lot of memory.” So, I’m pretty sure that in my specific case the problem that makes smart slow is the memory consumption, not the optimizations. Disabling it, makes smart run pretty faster to me, but it’s just because it uses less memory, so it needs less swap (and my HD is reeeealy slow).

So, if you want to test the differences of having Psyco or not on your system, try adding -o psyco=0 to your smart command line, and test. If you want to make it permanent, use smart config --set psyco=0.

Niemeyer also asked me to do some benchmarks to see why it’s faster without Psyco, but I’m too lazy to do it now. Whenever I get this done (sometime in the future) I’ll post the results.