Can't login, KDE destroyed

phatsteve

you can start the gui of smart with smart --gui as root (there also a start menu entry somewhere...) amd select the mandriva version of kdebase, you could then accept a downgrade or you could try to get mde working again but wait a few hours till their repos settle again....

Although sometimes re-installing can be an easy quick solution, keep in mind that that's sort of a "windows way" of doing things. In most cases, re-installing is overkill. In this case, though, trying to revert all those changes would probably have been quite a headache (as I'm sure you realized part way through).

I am not so sure that a quick reinstall is the windows way of doing things. In windows you have no choice but to do a reinstall.

With Linux you have the choice of spending a lot of time solving the problem if you have the time to spare or if you have a lot of experience, or doing a reinstall if you lack experience or just want to get on with using your OS.

I nowadays use both choices. I am not a geek so my primary interest is in using my computer and not constantly wanting to get under the bonnet (hood to US).

To use a car analogy, if I have engine troubles then I will look under the hood and if I cannot fix the problem in a reasonably short time then I take it into a garage (the reinstall). As I gain more info and experience with my car I can fix more problems myself so it means less and less visits to a garage.

With the windows car, the hood is welded down so I cannot fix even simple things even if I wanted to, it has to go to the garage.

Because Mandriva is so damned easy to install I always recommend reinstalls and updating as the first choice to newcomers and those of little Linux experience.

Tyme has got so much skill and experience that he could probably build his own OS from scratch. The vast majority of us don't happen to have that attribute nor the aptitude for it.

A lot of the vocal exponents of the CLI also forget this point.

Cheers. John.