2007 Mandiva Install, Troubles [solved]

The most likely cause is that your video driver did not update properly, it is quite easy to fix if you updated before you had to supply a password, it is your root password. Dont worry about the localhost stuff, its just the default name Mandriva gives to your computer.

Wow, I am trying not to get too excited, but I am now waiting for the packages to install

YES!!!!!!!!

I want to thank Everyone for responding so quickly.

I have wanted to change over for years and subscribed to the Linux magazine as a temptation.

As I am the Network admin in the house, I need to get my aystem up and interesting so that I can convince all parties to let me switch them over.

I am sooooo sick of Microsoft's monopoly and the new Vista nightmare which is what caused this plunge.

They are on Vista, I was on XP and the network would not work,

many tech calls later and in home tech support and their response was "I am confused"

They said it was my computer but I tried 5 nics,

the onboard, 1394, wireless, PCI,Wireless USB and nothing was working.

I installed the Live 2007 CD and I was immediately online.

Then the issue I am dealing with occurred.

Solvable, maybe solved

Thanks ALL

It is really lovely to see such happiness and pride by someone who was prepared to change and is happy with the results.

I know and hope you will get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from your new OS. You certainly won't regret it.

I haven't had windows of any sort on my computer for over a year now and almost never used it for 3 years prior to that.

Cheers. John.

It is really lovely to see such happiness and pride by someone who was prepared to change and is happy with the results.

I know and hope you will get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from your new OS. You certainly won't regret it.

I haven't had windows of any sort on my computer for over a year now and almost never used it for 3 years prior to that.

Cheers. John.

Thanks,

I am having fun with endless possibilities.

I love to tweak and explore and this is a great new toy.

I am having many troubles, or rather exploration and solution spelunking,

all good.

I am sure you will be seeing alot of questions from me, hope this won't bother anyone.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Well, the DVD install worked and I am up and running.

I used http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desk..._spring_free_p1

and most things have gone well.

I tried on the first attempt to follow the directions and I didn't have enough space to install the required software.

Soooooooo

I diconnected my 250 gig data drive and downloaded G-Parted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

First I tried to move the hda 1 boot volume, since the hard drive defaults were crazy,

Couldn't boot Mandriva

G parted and removed all partitions,

then followed the How to Forge

and Voilla,

The partition for the OS apps is still too small, I wanted more like 20 gig and I have something like 7,

UGH

Ok,

I have no 3D desktop

No aMule

No Google Earth

Cant reach this site for True Type Fonts: ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/seerofsouls.co...4brs.noarch.rpm

No opera

can't find: flash-player-plugin ( I downloaded it and installed, but when I look at plugins in firefox, it's not there

this isn't there either: win32-codecs

there are other suggested files that aren't in the available apps for dl

the 3D desktop, Mattisse to be exact is really bugging me.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

3D

Gparted is a partition tool, mandriva has it own (and supposedly very good partition tool) in the mandriva control center (typing mcc in a console is one possible way to launch it) but if you really want to use gparted why don' t you download it from the repositories?

See http://wiki.mandrivausers.org/index.php/Software_management for differnet ways of installing software in Mandriva

Can Someone please tell me how to get my data off my other drive?

Everything is in there and I don't want to have to go back to Windows....

I dont see the drive and it's an internal maxtor SATA 250 gig

it's been disconncted while reformatting install, re-install many times

now connected and I cant see it.