2007 Mandiva Install, Troubles [solved]

I installed the cd version by erasing that hard drive and ridding myself of Windows for the first time.

As I am a believer in getting it all,

I installed all available updates setup user all available options.

When I reboot, I input user and password and end up with an orange screen that just last forever.

I tried every key and nothing happens.

I have to hold down the power button to shut the computer down.

I tried all of the options with the same result.

I then burned the X86-64 DVD and tried to install, Fatal error

I have a HP Pavillion 1483w

Athlon 64X2 4100+ 2.2 GHZ Processor

Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE

Asus MotherBoard

2 Gig mem

60 gig Western Digital HD

and 250 gig maxtor

alot more if you need it.

I have never taken the Linux plunge but have wanted to for years.

After reading up I chose this version since it appears the most new user friendly and stable.

Please help me get this working, I don't want to go back to Windows.

Hi welcome to MUB

when you get to the log in screen hit ctrl+alt+f1

type su then you password

type XFdrake (like this, it's case sensitive!) select your video card, but choose not to use the properietary driver, and choose to automatically start x server

type drak3d and select not to use 3d desktop

then restart, you won't get any fancy effects but at least you will have a working desktop again from their we can work on getting the rest to work

Edited by ffi

I will try that right now, and thx for getting back to me so soon.

I tried the DVD free 2007 install over the cd install and got that fatal error so I am just about finished dl'ing the i586

I thought maybe I was unable to use the x86x64

I'll let you know what happens.

I have been hitting refresh on this page every few minutes in the hopes of a solution.

I have been searching for this issue all over the place and nothing seems to be the same.

Thanks again!!!

I hope that you are not using Gnome and thus the gdm login manager. I have reported a bug in gdm some days ago where the system hang completely (athough at logout, not login), it still needs fixing.

If possible, take a look at the .xsession-errors file in your /home directoy. It might tell you why it froze. Remember that files beginning with "." like .xsession-errors or .kde are so called "hidden files".

Guest Majestic

Hello,

before installing a new distro, always i try the live cds. you have been installed your system, and as a reply, i understood you have disabled the 3d desktop. i offer you to try live cd ( its name mandriva one -also gnome and kde versions avaible-) and have a look if 3d desktop is working on live cd. if it is working, copy the xorgconf file to somewhere, and then re open your pc without cd. when your system ready, type the command su and find your own xorgconf file. and then check the 3d working xorg.conf file is something missing or wrong with your own and if necessary -im sure it is!- make the correction on your own xorg.conf file.... try this, maybe it works....

Have a nice days...

PS: im a new user too.

Hi welcome to MUB

when you get to the log in screen hit ctrl+alt+f1

type su then you password

type XFdrake (like this, it's case sensitive!) select your video card, but choose not to use the properietary driver, and choose to automatically start x server

type drak3d and select not to use 3d desktop

then restart, you won't get any fancy effects but at least you will have a working desktop again from their we can work on getting the rest to work

XFdrake

command not found

I hope that you are not using Gnome and thus the gdm login manager. I have reported a bug in gdm some days ago where the system hang completely (athough at logout, not login), it still needs fixing.

If possible, take a look at the .xsession-errors file in your /home directoy. It might tell you why it froze. Remember that files beginning with "." like .xsession-errors or .kde are so called "hidden files".

I think I am using GNOME

how do I get to the .xsession erros

I am a Techie with Windows and a DUMMY with Linux...

I used the exact case and I am stuck in command interface

I am restarting, since I don't know how to get to the local host from there.

My download of the 2007 Mandriva i586 is finished.

I am going to try to do a clean install with that DVD

If it doesn't work, I will get back to these instruction.

I had this working fine until I started installing everything available.

updates, programs, etc...

Thanks for your patience.