Mounting Devices

jleaman

I keep getting Errors when plugging in external drives. When i plug in any USB / Firewire drives i get Invalid Mount Option. what does this mean ? i searched this form before asking but found nothing. ? Any one get this error too ?

I can plug in one that is formatted Fat 32, it works but the other NTFS ones don't. Do i need all of them formatted to Fat32 ?

Thanks in advanced Guy's you all rock.

Jase

Which version of Mandriva do you use?

The newest release 10.

the newest is 2007. 10 is years old.

That is what i ment, sorry. Yes i have that running. Smoothly but only this one problem.

Jase

There was a usb-bug in the default kernel, but it was not only in the betas but still existed in the final release. However, there is an updated kernel available from the mirrors that fixes the problem.

There was a usb-bug in the default kernel, but it was not only in the betas but still existed in the final release. However, there is an updated kernel available from the mirrors that fixes the problem.

Ill see if there is any updates to do tonight.

Is updating the kernal really hard ? Don't you hav to compile do update the kernal ?

In rpmdrake (that's the name of the install GUI), choose the kernel best-suited to your needs (SMP or not, multimedia or not, desktop or laptop), install it, and then reboot. You should see this new kernel in the boot menu (should be Lilo or Grub).

Yves.

Oh, in Mandriva 1007.1 you only need to install the "kernel-latest" package and your system will automatically upgrade to the newest kernel if you have some software mirrors set up. No recompiling an kernel-source downloading necessary (unless you want to recompile the kernel)

Oh, in Mandriva 1007.1 you only need to install the "kernel-latest" package and your system will automatically upgrade to the newest kernel if you have some software mirrors set up. No recompiling an kernel-source downloading necessary (unless you want to recompile the kernel)

So i guess i could atempt this tonight, I wonder if it will help any ? Is there a command i can run in terminal that will tell me the kernal version ?

What version should i be running ?

I love terminal but im not used to all these special command's..

I am curiouse to know what the command is that will tell me the spu info and other things :P

Jase..

p.s thanks for your help guys :P

uname -r

or uname -a for the works

(oops I didnt read you OP correctly, I thought you were having probs with fat32 too, to mount ntfs read/writable you will also need to install ntfs-config and run it and select automount removable devices)

Edited by ffi

Linux localhost 2.6.17-5mdv #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 14:32:31 EDT 2006 i686 Intel® Xeon CPU 2.00GHz GNU/Linux

this is what i got when running uname -a

I don't see no option to upgrade the kernel.

Jase

That is already the latest "official" kernel for Mandriva 2007.1. The only way to get an even newer kernel is to enable the backports repos. I have not used them yet, so cannot say anything about the quality of the packages available there.