LinDVD, Where is it?

Guest robzilla

Guest robzilla

I just installed Mandriva 2007.1 Discovery Spring. I thought it had LinDvd and I can't find it?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

LinDVD has been dropped from the powerpack for 2007.1 - if you have powerpack 2007.0 & have upgraded then it will still be there but if a straight install using 2007.1 then there is no LinDVD :( don't know why maybe someone else can answer that!

Guest robzilla

I was wondering about that. So was 2007 as good as 2007.1? Maybe I will download and install that. What are the main differences between the two?

Thanks again,

Robert

Guest robzilla

Seems there are a number of features I would like that were 07 and left out of 07.1 such as Kapersky av and LinDVD. The Metisse and Cube desktop are cool but not really functional to me. I do like the virtualization software.

I must say Mandriva has an impressive list of feature. I am dual booting with Vista but I find since installed Mandriva I only use windows for my proprietary mp3 player. Although Vista sure looks good. I do think Linux is way ahead of Apple and Microsoft. I do not subscribe one OS is best flame wars I have heard. I like Vista, I like OS10.4.9 and I like Mandriva 2007.1 although I am awfully curious about 2007 now. Of course it is always nice not to have to run a virus scan every night along with two spyware scanners!!

Thanks for the help!

Robzilla

yep, I got the statement from dbarth yesterday. This is it:

"LinDVD & Cedega have not been bundled with 2007 Spring, due to mixed feedback about the features value.

These products are only available for 2007.0 customers. Members of the Mandriva Club eligible for 2007.0 downloads can retrieve the ISOs to access the packages or can reuse the RPMs if they already have a 2007.0 media.

For technical and licensing reasons, we cannot distribute said

applications in a standard club repository without a 2007.0 installation disk. We regret this inconvenience."

http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.p...93&start=25

You can spend your CPU cycles to something mildly more useful than an antivirus program.

Excluding serving a LAN with windows clients, it's of no use- and even in that case the clients themselves could (and should) take care of viruses.

I may prove being wrong *when* a Linux virus will appear, but up to date all we've got are a couple of moderately harmful macro "viruses" for OpenOffice.org, and hardly more than that.