Wanadoo Livebox USB Wireless + Mandriva Help

Guest Simonkey

Guest Simonkey

First of all, hello everybody!

Have just started dipping toe into Linux flavoured waters, have installed Mandriva Spring 2007 One, and all gone swimmingly apart from a wireless internet problem. I use the Wanadoo / Orange Livebox with the provided Inventel branded USB Dongle thang, model no: UR054g (R01) v1.1. Mandriva installation detects the card as Globespan Virata Cohiba 3887 rev0 chipset, and installs the prism54usb driver. The green active light on the dongle also shows. However there is no sign of any available wireless networks using Manage Wireless Networks or Configure Network in the system Tray. I have tried also manually configuring the network with no success, and using the Windows prism02 drivers supplied with the dongle via Ndiswrapper, which freezes the system or tells me I need a firmware update.

So I guess my question is : has anyone ever got this particular usb/network/Mandriva combo to work, and if so, could they give me step by step advice on how to. While I'm an intermediate level user (or thereabouts) on Windows and Mac OS X, I am completely new to Linux and need things spelled out to me! Thank you for any help, good or bad news you can give me!

P.S. Have hunted through google for info on this problem but all the results are french sites, and google translate, bless it, is not quite up to the job of explaining the mysteries of Linux just yet!

Simon....

send me the links.... I'll translate what's necassary ... although wanadoo are not know for being linux friendly... (to say the least)... but proably 90% of the threads are just bitching that wanadoo disconnected them when they told them they were using linux or something....