Mandriva 2007. Upgrade or Clean Install?

Pepse

So, I have Mandriva 2007 Power Pack, and just to see how it is I installed it on another smaller hard drive. I like what I see and I would like to put it on my main hard drive that has Mandriva 2006 Power Pack, but would I be better off to reformat the drive and then install MDV '07 or gamble and upgrade MDV '06?? I usually reformat but I am getting tired of having to reinstall everything, like pix and music.

Later. Pepse.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

You can try an upgrade, I personally did this in the past without problems but some people say they run into issues. If the upgrade fails, then consider a reinstall.

Also, if you haven't done so in the past, it's a good idea to put your /home on a separate partition, so that when you upgrade you just tell it not to format the home partition, so you keep a lot of your personal settings.

Well, I ended up doing an Install and just used the existing partitions and that part is OK. But, I have a major issue with turning on the computer. When I turn it on it doesn't always load Linux. It hangs up in the same place every time it won't load. It gets to this point:

Welcome to Mandriva Linux 2007.0

Press 'I' to enter interactive setup

Configuring kernel parameters: OK

Setting clock (localtime): Tues. May 1 xx:xx:xx CDT 2007 OK

Loading default keymap: OK

Setting hostname localhost: OK

And that is where it hangs. As of right now I am using LILO, but I did have GRUB and had the same problem. This box is setup with another hard drive with windows on it. When it gets to the LILO screen I can go to the windows hard drive with no problems. It is only a problem with any part of Linux. Be it Linux or Linux non FB or failsafe. Now just to mention, because it ain't just this hard drive, I have a smaller hard drive that I initially put MDV 2007.0 on and it has the same problem. Doesn't always load Linux.

My MOBO is a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ with a VIA chipset. 512 megs of PC3200 400meg FSB RAM. Only a AMD Athlon 1.33 Ghz processor, an Nvidia GEFORCE 5200 AGP 128 meg video card. I never had any issues to complain about with MDV 2005 or 2006.

Later. Pepse.