activating Metisse 2007.1 install

aerogate

I did the following, "Open MCC, go to....Hardware then........Configure 3D Desktop effects." As soon as I clicked on "Configure 3D Desktop effects" I was immediately logged out of KDE. never even saw what was supposed to be in the dropdown. I tried selecting 3D from the login prompt, but was then prompted for the root password which I supplied. Thereupon, it went back to the login screen again. Guess I'll have to pass on Metisse.

EDIT: This was after an upgrade from 2007.0 to 2007.1 and am running dual monitors.

I had the same problem. Any program which uses glx immediately restarts x server including glxgears and even glxinfo. The problem is described here: http://linux-wizard.net/index.php?id_blog=113 Check your xorg.conf if you have the same problem. Either add the missing lines or just run XFdrake which does it for you. Also installing the driver from the official source may add the missing lines too but I didn't check that.

If you want to use Beryl you may need to add some more lines check this topic: http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=64361

Metisse still doesn't work here though.

Got it working from info provided in this thread, and thanks for the info. However, after 5 frustrating minutes with Metisse (with no Windows key) I was very happy to get back to old, regular 2D KDE again.

Thought it might have made management easier of the zillion windows I usually have open, but I'm better off with the use of the virtual desktops icon in the task bar.

Also, it is rather annoying in a dual monitor setup to have all windows open in the middle of the two screens. Additionally, maximize does so across both screens. MIght be more useful for someone with a single monitor.

Don't know if I'm brave enough to try Beryl or not.......

When surrounded by wolves, 'tis best to howl.

Edited by RVDowning