External USB hard drive [solved]

neddie

Maybe, but:
Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico.

Ah. Know anyone in the States who can forward it to you? (Probably cheaper to get it at a store where you are, but just throwing ideas out)

Edited by Scythe

If you want an external that doesn't need anything but a USB cord, you might try this one. My friend has one similar (I think it might be 60GB) and it works fine. He doesn't run Linux, but I can see no reason that it wouldnt' work.

Just got a WD Passport 60GB myself. Mine was (by default I guess) set up as one big FAT32 partition. I repartitioned it to my liking with diskdrake (and probably will do that a few more times until I have got it best setup for all things I want it for), but can confirm it works fine out of the box. I have shrunk this to one small FAT32 and one big ext3 using diskdrake. Works a charm; mount-points are automatically created when I am logged in XFCE. From console I (obviously) need to mount the partition(s) on the USB drive myself.

Edited by pindakoe

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

In the end I went for the Nexstar, it looks something like this:

nexstar3.jpgSpecs are: 120GB, 2.5", 5400rpm, 132 x 80 x 15 mm. Cost 147 Francs, which works out to around 61 Pounds, or 90 Euros, or 122 USDollars.

I certainly don't need all those GB yet but the cost per GB falls as you get bigger so it's tempting to get more. And yes that's a lot more than the 3.5" drives cost, there are 400GB drives for not many more francs than that - but this one's really small and neat, and gets power just from the USB which is what I wanted. :thumbs: And it worked more or less straight out of the box too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

In the end I went for the Nexstar, it looks something like this:

nexstar3.jpgSpecs are: 120GB, 2.5", 5400rpm, 132 x 80 x 15 mm.

good call. i was going to put in that since you only need an external hdd then go for the laptop drives (e.g., 2.5") since majority of those can be powered off the usb port. the 3.5"/5.25" enclosures require a separate power brick since it is not guaranteed that the usb port can supply enough juice to power both the enclosure and the contained drive.

with that said, i have a 3.5" matrix enclosure which is almost as generic as you can get and it works in linux. i havent tried booting off it though since i know my old workstation bios doesnt support it. i got the 3.5" enclosure because i have a couple of old hdd that would serve well as transport floppies :lol2: but i should have gotten a 5.25" enclosure so i can put in a cd/dvd writer and make it portable. im planning on getting one though that is generic in make this baby only costs around 900 pesos (or roughly US$19). :cheesy:

ciao!

Edited by ramfree17