Scanner detected, works! - then fails

finlay

I installed MD 9.1 and it successfully found and set up my Mustek 1200 UB plus scanner as Mustek BearPaw 1200 CU. Hoorah! It worked fine for a couple of days. Then when I click on the XSane icon I get the error message "Failed to open device 'gt68xx: /dev/usb/scanner0'.

I did a complete reinstall. Now XSane also finds my TV card but returns the same error message for my scanner. Jubilation to despair. What the hell is gt68xx? Can anyone help?

Finlay Welsh

There is no reason for it not to find the Mustek 1200UB scanner. First, try commenting out all the lines in your /etc/sane.d /dll.conf file except for the mustek_usb one and then in /etc/sane.d/mustek_usb.conf, uncomment:

/dev/usb/scanner0

option 1200ub

If that doesn't work, try going to rpmfind.net and downloading the very latest sane and xsane packages and install them. If this fails, read here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3147

Many thanks for replying but I think we've been here before, Steve! Note that this is the Scanexpress 1200 UB PLUS. It has the gt6801 chipset and requires kernel 2.4.12 or later and sane-gt68xx. Both of these are part of MD 9.1 and as I say, it worked fine for a few days. [

Finlay[/b]

does your scanner need a firmware upload?

Dunno. Could you explain further? (later) However, I've done the following: reinstalled MD just to make sure all the conf files are in their original state ;-) and I went into the BIOS to see if I could fiddle with interrupts as I suspect my sound card which shares an interrupt with USB may be interfering (I need to reset Kmixer every time I log in in order to get sound) I couldn't change any interrupts but poking around -changing PnP from enabled to disabled and back again among other things- seems to have done the trick even though I set the BIOS back to the way it was !! God knows how long it'll last and I have no idea what I've done, but be assured I'll keep an eye on it.

Finlay

Well, we're back to no scanner again. See thread on Mandrake Club. I've reinstalled SIX times and intermittently had the scanner working. I've fiddled with PnP in the BIOS (which fixed it once) but I'm baffled. Also I have to reset Kmixer every time I log on. The system regularly hangs when left on overnight. This release feels flaky to me. I THOUGHT it came out too quickly after beta testing began. Now I'm sure of it. What's the rush Mandrake?

Finlay

well maybe disbaling unneeded thing on your main board my help by freeing up interrupts if thats your problem...... anyway it wouldnt hurt to try.

what i mean is diable stuff oure not using like serial ports that are unused, game port if possible, secondary ide controller if thats unused.

Also there is a "reset configuration data" thing in some bios , near the "pnp bios installed " option. you could try that. You should probably say no to the latter. i suppose you already have.

There is also a command line option for the kernel:

pci=option[,option...]  [PCI] various PCI subsystem options:

off [iA-32] don't probe for the PCI bus

bios [iA-32] force use of PCI BIOS, don't access

the hardware directly. Use this if your machine

has a non-standard PCI host bridge.

nobios [iA-32] disallow use of PCI BIOS, only direct

hardware access methods are allowed. Use this

if you experience crashes upon bootup and you

suspect they are caused by the BIOS.

conf1 [iA-32] Force use of PCI Configuration Mechanism 1.

conf2 [iA-32] Force use of PCI Configuration Mechanism 2.

nosort [iA-32] Don't sort PCI devices according to

order given by the PCI BIOS. This sorting is done

to get a device order compatible with older kernels.

biosirq [iA-32] Use PCI BIOS calls to get the interrupt

routing table. These calls are known to be buggy

on several machines and they hang the machine when used,

but on other computers it's the only way to get the

interrupt routing table. Try this option if the kernel

is unable to allocate IRQs or discover secondary PCI

buses on your motherboard.

rom [iA-32] Assign address space to expansion ROMs.

Use with caution as certain devices share address

decoders between ROMs and other resources.

irqmask=0xMMMM  [iA-32] Set a bit mask of IRQs allowed to be assigned

automatically to PCI devices. You can make the kernel

exclude IRQs of your ISA cards this way.

lastbus=N  [iA-32] Scan all buses till bus #N. Can be useful

if the kernel is unable to find your secondary buses

and you want to tell it explicitly which ones they are.

assign-busses  [iA-32] Always assign all PCI bus

numbers ourselves, overriding

whatever the firmware may have

done.

Maybe this 'll help , this is easier to read in/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

(part of the kernel documentation installed with the kernel source.

does your scanner need a firmware upload?

Some scanners (usb need a firmware file to be uplaoded to them ach time they power on before using. the sane backend in /etc/sane.d/ generally requires a path to the scanner firmware file. If you open your backend file, youll get to know if its needs one or not. for this you have to know which backend you need for your scanner. for that you can go to www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.htm to find out.

Well hope you fix it.

regards

Kunal

OK, here's the story now. I have just cleared CMOS and rebooted. Still no joy, so I went back into the BIOS and changed to PnP enabled. Still no joy. Mu motherboard is Abit KT7-raid. Yes, I could presumably disconnect various bits and pieces like game port but it does seem to me to be rather over the top. I'm going to try updating ECSP again. Before I do that I'm also going to take the USB connection off my Epson STylus 740 so that it runs under a parallel connection only. That way the system will only have to worry about one USB connection.

CPU Athlon 850, 20 Gb and 6Gb HDDs, 512 Mb SDRAM Dual boot Windows Me.

Many thanks for your replies

Finllay

have you checked to see if your scanner is ok. if you are dual booting with windows try that. scanners do stop working, recently had to replace an HP4200 with an Epson 1660 Photo. The only problem I had with 9.1 and my scanner was its not configuring it prooerly, I had to edit my /etc/sane.d/epson.conf file.

Been here yet?

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/

also how about the latest bios?

Thank you! Downloaded firmware and set it up. Hooray! Now why can't Mandrake include that step in their configuration? What's the use of a configuration tool if it only does half the job?

Finlay

PS I was in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Calcutta last year - loved it.