Daylight savings again [solved]

neddie

Yeah, you thought we'd discussed daylight savings time to death already, didn't you? :lol2:

But yesterday our clocks all went forward one hour, but my Mandriva 2007 system didn't change as I expected it to (and as 2005 did). So I right-clicked on my clock and said "Adjust Date&Time" and it all looks ok - the option "Set date and time automatically" is checked, with "europe.pool.ntp.org" selected in the dropdown. My timezone is Berlin, which is correct. I tried the zdump command from the USA thread, and got this:

/usr/sbin/zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 25 00:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 25 01:59:59 2007 CET isdst=0 gmtoff=3600
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 25 01:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 25 03:00:00 2007 CEST isdst=1 gmtoff=7200
/etc/localtime  Sun Oct 28 00:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 02:59:59 2007 CEST isdst=1 gmtoff=7200
/etc/localtime  Sun Oct 28 01:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 02:00:00 2007 CET isdst=0 gmtoff=3600

which also looks ok. But my clock still says "quarter to nine" when it's quarter to 10, the time showed by "uptime" is also wrong, and when I "touch" a file, its timestamp is also an hour earlier than it should be.

How do I persuade it to jump forward an hour? Did everyone else's jump forward ok without doing anything?

Edited by neddie

Did everyone else's jump forward ok without doing anything?
All clocks on my computers changed automatically (using time.flygplats.net for the server and then syncing all other to that one).

zdump shows the same as yours.

Edit:

# /etc/init.d/ntpd restart

?

Edited by Mhn

Weird. Must be just my machine then. :unsure:

In any case it seems to be fixed now. After unchecking the "Set date and time automatically" checkbox and rebooting, as suggested, I then tried the bold manoeuvre of checking that checkbox again and pressing 'ok'. Whumpf, screen went black (although moving the mouse woke it back up again), and now the clock's showing the right time again.

Gives me a rather uneasy feeling, but I've breathed on it several times and it hasn't fallen over, so maybe it's ok.

Thanks for your help, guys.

When I had Mandriva on my machine, I also noticed it didn't change the time automatically, even though NTP was enabled and configured correctly!

So you're not the only one. However, same machine, and Debian, works fine. Not that I'm suggesting a distro change, but more that Mandy might be at fault with some sort of specific setup.

Weird. It can't just be Mandriva cos it works for Mhn and SilverSurfer60, apparently. And it can't be hardware because mine worked fine with Mandriva2005. And I'm guessing it can't be a problem with my ntp server because after switching off ntp and switching it back on again it worked (very suspicious). So I guess it must be some kind of config, or some combination of circumstances (like not being online the first couple of times I booted it after the switch, perhaps). Something fishy but must be quite rare if noone else has had the same problem.

So I guess it must be some kind of config, or some combination of circumstances

This is exactly what I've been thinking, and I too had not used my machine or connected to the internet the day the clocks changed, in fact one day or so later. Exactly identical to your circumstances.

I just wanted to say that, in a windows network, I had to manually install updates to every machine, including the server. Oh, that's not true. The windows 2000 machines had to be edited directly in the registry.

Lame, lame, lame, lame.

When I had Mandriva on my machine, I also noticed it didn't change the time automatically, even though NTP was enabled and configured correctly!

So you're not the only one. However, same machine, and Debian, works fine.

I had just the opposite, Mandriva and Xubuntu changed correctly, but Debian Etch did not. :huh:

• 1 year later...

Belated note that this didn't work for the recent daylight savings time a few weeks ago either (this is 2007.1). I checked the date/time, it was set to automatically sync but it didn't jump forward. I unchecked the "automatic" checkbox and hit "Apply", then without closing checked the checkbox again and hit "Apply" again, and the clock jumped forward an hour. :huh:

Maybe the automatic thing isn't quite as automatic as it should be.