Interesting adventure trying to get 9.1 heh

Guest Goofusbrain

Guest Goofusbrain

Well... letsee... on two different burners.. using two different burning packages.. downloaded from two different sites... the ISO for cd one appears to give errors on the exact same packages. (so.. is my cd-rom drive geeking out in these spots everytime?)

Going via ftp.. these packages install ok... but.. of course.. everyone and their brothers are hammering the ftp sites so each install going *that* route dies...

::chuckle::

So... beginning to think I just need to go back to 9.0 for awhile.

:shock:

I was getting almost 200 mb download from anon's site, pretty good *grin*

I assume you mean 200 Kbyte not mb, that would be a pretty fat pipe if it was the later :wink:

In regards too the first post did you do a md5sum check of the iso before burning?

Guest Goofusbrain

Yup.. did the checksum.. and it passed with flying colors. (well.. *green* anyway.. heh)

Thus far.. I'm up to 15 coasters. Just for CD1.

I'd tried doing the upgrade from 9.0 originally... and though I'd gotten a couple of errors on cd1 I'd continued... so.. it would appear that cd2 and 3 burns are ok... but the upgrade had been pretty flakey... so went with the clean install option... heh.

I've tried Memorex and Maxell cdrs (majorly glad now that they were on sale for practically nothing.... as it would appear that that's about what they're worth, tho.. never had any issues with the memorex ones before.) in three different burners now and can't get a good burn of cd1... even using EZ-CD Creator, Nero, or RecordNow DX.

A couple of them wouldn't boot... the rest will get to the package installation and say 'There was an error installing packages (insert various package names here) Go on anyway?'

If you go on.. some packages install... others crap out. Like.. harddrake.. and some of the file system tools... or iptools... or glibc... or the kernel packages

Fun, eh?

what is the speed when you burn the cds? I found out that for something this important.. the slower the speed the better. I burned my isos with 4x speed maximum.. yeah it takes about 20 minutes per iso, but what is 20 minutes compared to hours of frustrations?

Burning at lower speed is not always (but definitely sometimes) helpful, and there have been cases reported where it was actually better to burn at the highest speed.

Personally, I would be suspicious of the cd-r media that are being used.

I mean, if the md5sums are ok, and the burner is ok.....

I've seen this several places on this board: apparent read errors with otherwise good cds when attempting to install on a laptop. I've noticed the same thing myself when attempting to install on my laptop. Always thought it was because I have a PCMCIA cdrom drive but others with hot swappable ide drives on their laptops have reported similar problems. Don't know if this has any relevance to your situation since you don't list your hardware.

The only solution I've found is to do a hard disk install. You can try doing a minimal install with only CD1 on the hard drive and then do an upgrade install with the cds. That's what I've had to do because of limited hard drive space.

Guest Goofusbrain

Yup... tried burning at both slowest and fastest speeds for the burners.

Burners tried are a Lite On drive, which until now had never given a bad burn... and a Sony DRU-500a DVD burner.. which, also.. has never given a bad burn.. until now.

And my bro-in-law's burner.. which I can't remember the brand.

And what I'm trying to install on... is just a basic desktop pc. PII-400, 256mb ram, a 20GB and a 30GB drive... with an HP 7200 CD-writer as the cd drive. the HP drive.. *could* be giving me fits while reading... as it *is* old as the hills... however.. I tried booting with some of the cds on a couple of other machines... and they wouldn't boot there either... tho.. didn't try to install on them (aren't mine.. heh)

Actually.. the harddrive install might woik... I know the ISOs were originally downloaded on there... hrmmm....

Will have to give that a go.

Thanks

::update::

Nope... that didn't woik either.... hrmm... this time.. got so far in the install and then got errors installing *every* package after that point.

At least on the cds it would install a few after an error... going straight from the iso file... once it got the first error... everything after wouldn't install either.

This is getting very very very.. ermm. annoying.. heh

Glad is isn't my main pc. ::chuckle::

Guest gwayne

Well, I downloaded the iso's and burned them with arson on my old faithfull 4x speed philips burner and no problem at all.

Installed 3 systems with them so far.

:lol:

Guest Goofusbrain

well.... I got a bare...bare...*bare* install mounting the iso file for cd1... had to try several times to get certain files to load.

I copied the entire contents of the installation into a directory on the harddrive (a copy of an ftp install) after getting it up on the internet... set that up in the software sources manager... and then tried to install some of the files it itself listed as being present.

But... of course... it said.. 'some of the files were not present. installation cannot continue' or some such.

Thus far... I'd have to say this install attempt has been more of a pain in the bootay than *anything* I've tried to install previously.

Guess I'll give myself a few days of 'cool down' before continuing. Perhaps in a week or two the mad rush to download 9.1 will slacken a bit and I'll be able to install a few of those files from the web.

Or I'll officially throw in the towel and go back to 9.0.

::shrug::

I had a similar problem with cd-rs But then i cleaned up my cd drive lens and generally removbed all the gigaretter ash from inside it and lubricted the rails and drive etc inside it. The it worked and read all the cdrs fine which i had put down as being coasters at first.

Small question: can you be positive that your hardware is ok?

I'm not questioning the burner or cdr's; you could try to rip the first cd to an image, which should then have the same md5sum (to make sure once more that the cd is correct), or mount the cd, mount the image, and compare the files.

By now, I'm suspecting that you have a bad ide channel on the machine.

Or did you install (well, try) on several machines?

Can you tell what machine this is, how the cdrom and hd's are hooked up, what mobo/chipset this is etcetc.?

Furthermore, please set all bios settings to failsafe, and then to the usual proper settings for the few things that are normally not set properly when choosing failsafe: pnpOS: no, shadow video bios: no, memory timings to slower/st, anything between graphics and rest that looks like tweaking options (fast read write turnaround, etc etc): disable

Hope this helps...