Interesting adventure trying to get 9.1 heh

Guest Goofusbrain

Guest Goofusbrain

Actually.. nothing would surprise me.

9.0 had been running flawlessly, is the only indication that I have of the hardware having been ok.

Of course.. I've not yet tried to reinstall it, either.

As far as the hardware...

It's an Intel 440bx board/ 440bx AGP chipset (if I recall correctly) with a p-II 400. 256mb pc100 ram. A matrox g400 with 32mb. And a soundblaster value (ensoniq chipset).

The 30gb drive is setup as primary master (/boot /swap /home)

the 20gb drive is setup as primary slave (/)

(don't remember why I'd originally set it up like that... but it's been that way for a coupla years.. so.. it seems to have worked ok)

the cd drive is setup as secondary master.

The board could be going bad... heck.. the cd drive or even the 20gb drive might be dying (or any combo) Have to grab a 'troubleshooter' disk from work and take it home and scan the heck outta everything.

Guest Goofusbrain

YAY!!!

Finally!

After a *base* install, using the ISO file.. then 'upgrading' the install via ftp to a particular site that was apparently having a lull in traffic (which gave me only a manpage package)... was able to get everything downloaded via the package manager and back up and running (minus a quick samba config.. which can wait until tomorrow)

w00t!

The hardware tests all passed... with Forefront's Troubleshooter.. except the CD drive, which I didn't have the correct disks to test with.

Thanks all the suggestions and help.