Can't Install MDV 2007 PP on Gigabyte Mobo

Pepse

For those of you that read my Dual Boot on one hard drive (XP & Linux), at the end I mentioned that Linux won't install. So, I figured the problem might be the motherboard. I went to Gigabyte's web thinking it might be a BIOS problem and they said to go to Nvidia as it is probably a problem with the Nvidia NFORCE chipset. I went to Nvidia with this issue and they said that the problem should be brought up on the Mandriva board. So, here I am, again. What I have is a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 (X64) motherboard with an AMD AM2 4200+ CPU, 2 GB's of DDR ram, a 250 GB Western Digital SATA hard drive, and an ATI 256MB PCI-E video card. I installed Win XP on half of the hard drive and was going to put Mandriva 2007 PowerPack on the other. Well all that happens when I reboot the computer with the MDV DVD in is it says "loading Linux" and the screen goes black and the DVD player spins down and that's it. Nothing else happens. Rebooted a few times with the same result. So, just for the heck of it I got out my Mandriva 2006 PP DVD and put it in and it installed. But, when I rebooted the computer it hung up about halfway through the boot. So, I decided to heck with it and reformatted that half of the hard drive in hopes of solving the problem, somehow.

Any good thoughts??

Pepse.

try the 2007.1 RC if you are advanturous

>>it hung up about halfway through the boot

<alt><ctrl>F1 or F2 or F3> might get you nearer to error messages

or where the boot stops

You need to decide if you want to fight a 2007 or 2006 battle

I would be inclined to fight the 2007

says "loading Linux" and the screen goes black and the DVD player spins down

Maybe try 2007 free rather than powerpack, it is far fetched but that would account for testing that the cdrom is not faulty and that really it is a 2007.0 "bug" if 2006 install proceeds ok

Do you see any boot up screen options apart from booting linux?

First of all, you're going to hate me for this but, I didn't write down where it stopped when trying to boot MDV 2006. But, I do remember it was the same spot. This computer was bought by a friend and it is at his place now. I will fight with 2007. I tried 2006 because it was there, but at least it tried to work. Now that I think of it I also tried KUBUNTU X64 and it hung up barely into the install. I know, I know, I am going to have to spend some time working on his machine. So, right now I don't think it is Mandriva specific, being that KUBUNTU doesn't load. I can't recall any other screens on boot.

The DVD should be good as I installed MDV 2007 on another hard drive in my computer and I took my DVD ROM and put it in an older HP Pavillion and installed 2007 in it. So, it seems it is a bug in this newer Gigabyte board. Also, His Lite-On DVD burner functions with my 2006 PP DVD and a couple movies he has watched since last Sunday when I delivered his computer.

Later. Pepse.

Try something based on a 2.6.18 kernel, like Fedora 6 or higher. Ubuntu and Mandy are 2.6.17 based. Might be something with the kernel causing you the issues. Just suggesting this for debugging purposes.