cannot disable onboard video with PhoenixBIOS

Guest george walsh

Guest george walsh

I have a server dating back 7 years using an Intel L440GX0.86B.0092.P09.9909161407 with a PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.00 (BIOS build 92).

Because the server hosts but one site and most of the bandwidth requirement is text based, and because I have the security of 5 SCSI drives with software RAID, I am loathe to build a new server for this purpose.

BUT ... I really would like to upgrade the video console display. That is presently handled by the on-board Cirrus Logic GD5480 (PCI#0 ID 0x00bc).

There is no way to disable this driver in BIOS. If I install an alternate driver in a PCI slot, the resulting conflict prevents the system from booting (xorg is triggering the video display at boot in the normal way.)

Has somebody been down this path before who would be willing to give me a pointer or two?

Appreciate it!

"George"

There is no way to disable this driver in BIOS. If I install an alternate driver in a PCI slot, the resulting conflict prevents the system from booting (xorg is triggering the video display at boot in the normal way.)

How far can you go on with the booting process? I could disable onboard sound on this mobo in favor of using a soundcard simply by preventing the referring module being loaded (i.e. by editing /etc/modprobe.conf). Or maybe you could unload that module and load the module for your alternate card later?

Guest george walsh
Go to Biosman and see if they can get a chip for your board with the features you need. The new chip would have an on board video off switch.

Thanks for the lead ... I will pass along the specs to them when I bring the server down over the weekend. I appreciate your taking the trouble to send me a reply.

How far can you go on with the booting process? I could disable onboard sound on this mobo in favor of using a soundcard simply by preventing the referring module being loaded (i.e. by editing /etc/modprobe.conf). Or maybe you could unload that module and load the module for your alternate card later?

I don't have any problem with the booting UNLESS I try to install another video card. I understand why that is happening - because of the conflict with the onboard video. It has been suggested I attempt to obtain a new bios chip which will provide the switching to turn the onboard video off. BTW, I have had no problem with adding sound cards, but that is because there is no onboard sound on the good old L440GX board.

Your taking the trouble to respond is much appreciated.

This may be a little late, but usually these older boards have a jumper on them to disable the onboard video.

Good point. I had forgotten that! :thumbs: