Why did Mandriva desktop lose FTP server? [solved]

mandrivsen

I have recently updated (however update didn't work, I had to install anew) :( from Mandrake 10 to Mandriva 2006. I was surprised to find out that I lost the FTP server. Is there an easy way to get a package which would integrate the server into my new Mandriva 2006 system, so it would be included also into Applications->System->Config...->Enable or disable the system services. I would like to avoid downloading, compiling and installing a publicly available stuff. :unsure:

Yes, very easy. First go into install software and install a package called drakwizard. Then go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer and in one of the sections, will be an install wizard to configure an FTP server.

This should then install proftpd package, for you to use FTP Server again.

If you don't find drakwizard, then click the link for easyurpmi at the top of this page and add repositories for main, contrib, main_updates, contrib_updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree as a minimum.

EDIT:

As an aside, your upgrade from Mandrake 10 failed because there are so many changes from 10 to 2006, devfsd to udev being one major one, as well as many others.

This didn't do it. There is no FTPd of any kind on my CD. I have regular PowerPack 2006. I can not remember what I had before. Whether PowerPack or PowerPack+. It doesn't say on my CDs either.

As for the update and changes from Mandrake 10 to Mandriva 2006, I appreciate the changes. I believe the swich to X.Org is the biggest culprit in this incompatibility nonsense. Besides, like this exclusion of otherwise public software, there are things that are just broken unnecessarily, for instance Evolution mail folders are not compatible. I have accumulated selected mails for over over 10 years, and used Evolution precisely because it had its mail organized in a traditional Unix way. You have no idea how much work it is to recover all this data. I was thinking of writing a program to make mail port. I believe Evolution should include one when they decided to deploy their software with a new repository strategy. :wall:

But, let me ask again about the FTPd. It looks as if the package is available one only needs to know where to get it. Or am i missing something? :unsure:

Edited by mandrivsen

Go into your "install software" gui and search for ftpd. You should find a load of options there, including proftpd, pure-ftpd, wu-ftpd and so on. I've no idea what the differences are, but if I type "urpmi ftp-server" in the command line it installs pure-ftpd in a snap. See this mandrivaclub link for more info: http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=285072

Or just google for "Mandriva ftpd" ;)

If you can't find these packages then chances are you haven't set up your urpmi sources like Ian suggested. If you're only looking on your cd (rather than the online repositories) then just follow Ian's instructions. These ftp servers are in the main and contrib repositories.

Yes, very easy. First go into install software and install a package called drakwizard. Then go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer and in one of the sections, will be an install wizard to configure an FTP server.

... o o o ...

Surprise, surprise

I've played along those lines you've suggested in your reply and, guess what - mysteriously ProFTPD appeared on my system. Though, I am very happy about having back my FTPd, I am absolutely furious because this is done in such a sneaky M$ way. First of all:

• I have not been able to update what you suggested, namely expand the list of repositories to check: main, contrib, main_updates, contrib_updates, plf-free, plf-nonfree. It just did something vaguely resembling what I thought I was doing.
  • It looks, there should be no need for drakwizard either, because it contains no reference to ProFTPD
  • When I realized that ProFTPD was after all downloaded as well as installed as I requested, it was still not listed in my package manager lists.

I am very thankful to you to help me out, and would like to underline that, the above criticism is not directed to you, but rather to Mandriva deployment strategy, that I hope will not follow the absolutely appalling example of Micro$oft practices that more than anything facilitate and aid intruders and crooks in breaking into our private space and in the name of helping us do as they please, to the point that we can no longer lock the front door!

Thank you neddie, to you too! Regardless of my complaint above, I do like my Mandriva, and I'm especially very happy with the prompt solution and help I got from you guys. :)

I am absolutely furious because this is done in such a sneaky M$ way.

:huh:

I've no idea why you're furious - and I don't see anything sneaky about "set up your sources, install ftpd, done".

Take a deep breath, and relax - now that your urpmi sources are set up (assuming they are set up) any software you want can be installed from the "install software" gui or from the console. And yes, if you've got it already then it should have a green tick.

It may not work precisely as you expect it to at first, and things may not be listed under precisely the name you expect, but search a little and ask a little and it'll all become clear. No need to start rants about Microsoft.

I've no idea why you're furious - and I don't see anything sneaky about "set up your sources, install ftpd, done".
No, no, I suggest you take a better look at this issue neddie, rather than calming down the cool. {{ Ooops, sorry typo Ii ==> It }} It is not updated as it should be, and most of all it is not done securely! B) Edited by mandrivsen

Not done securely? I must admit, I am mystified by your response. You should always update your menu by logging out of kde and logging back in, or launching menudrake and saving. Either method will update the menu. It was like this in version 9 as well. (I have been using Mandriva since version 7)

If you are running as root, then I appreciate your concern. But then, that is a choice you are making. After all, since only the root user can install software, you must choose to install it, using the root password. But, if you are running as root, then you are sacrificing 90% of the system security. ;)

Ooops, sorry typo {{ Ii ==> It }}. I corrected it above.

Misunderstanding:

I see, you guys are happy, and believe all is fine. Jumping across releases, at ones "own risk" is no answer or an excuse to hide behind for the things that are wrong, like dropping out software, so perhaps a dummy will buy a higher package, or problems with Evolution like one I mentioned earlier. Many of you have misunderstood me. I did not say Mandriva was insecure! It is one of the most secure systems, that's why I use it on the first place. What I meant was, that the way I got my ProFTPD was not securely done. I do not wish to discuss what is secure any further, I hope there are some that know what I'm talking about, and perhaps it will reach those that can fix the problem.

Edited by mandrivsen

I'm glad your problem is fixed and that you now have the ftpd server installed correctly! :thumbs:

Now, take a second to understand what the problem was. The software was not "dropped out" or "excluded", it's still there in 2007 as you now see. In the title of your thread, Mandriva did not in fact "lose FTP server", it's still got it as you see. There is no "following of Microsoft practices", you have exactly what you need.

I can't comment on your Evolution problems, because I don't use it, but perhaps if you raise a thread about it there may be someone here who can help or explain it. And about your claim that things are not done securely, well we asked you what you meant and you said you don't want to discuss it, so I assume we can forget that comment.

Have fun with your Mandriva, and when you don't understand something just ask a (clear!) question here so we can help you.

For some bizarre reason, things like apache and proftpd wouldn't install from the Mandriva 2006 CD/DVD's and higher. Adding your easyurpmi sources solved the problem.

You are not quite right in that drakwizard has nothing to do with proftpd. It's a load of installation wizards for various different things, such as http server, ftp server, etc, etc. So, indirectly it does have a link to proftpd, since when you set up an ftp server with this wizard, proftpd is installed. I know, because I use these wizards ;)

Now, take a second to understand what the problem was. The software was not "dropped out" or "excluded", it's still there in 2007 as you now see. In the title of your thread, Mandriva did not in fact "lose FTP server", it's still got it as you see. There is no "following of Microsoft practices", you have exactly what you need.

o o o

You are missing the point all over again. The FTPd is clearly not on the CD! And that is where you completely lose track of what is going really on, and why - what follows resembles what M$ is doing. Forget the fact that FTPd for some reason did not make it to the CD. What is troublesome is, that one pays for a CD - DVD in this case with 8 times more space than a regular CD, and that on top of that there is a need for some update across the Internet, which in itself is the 1st evil thing that resembles M$'s umbilical cord they connected every users of theirs to. Second evil thing is how this umbilical cord is used. The ProFTPD download I complained about is very fishy and done in the dark just like M$ is operating. User has very little control and knowledge what and how it happens. And lastly it is not true that ProFTPD is still there, because it is not. If for some reason I will need to reload/reinstall my OS I will have to go again and beg for mercy through that umbilical cord to "mama" Mandriva.

And I haven't even mention the intrinsic security risks whereby third parties can get involved in this process, and exploit the open door "mama" Mandriva has forced on us to be depend for some external pool of suppliers, which should all have been eliminated from this environment. I do not need any updates and I do not want to be dictated when to suck Mandriva's nipple. I am willing to pay for a distro on a CD/DVD to eliminate the unnecessary exposure to possible threats from the Internet.

Edited by mandrivsen

Now you're just ranting, for goodness' sake calm down and start talking reasonably.

OK, so some piece of software is not on the CD, or for some reason didn't install from the CD. So what? It's on the repositories! It's still there, in the repositories!

You're not "begging for mercy" as you so hysterically put it, you're just using Mandriva's worldwide repositories. That's a good thing because it keeps you updated, keeps you fed with security patches (fixing problems to precisely prevent "unnecessary exposure to possible threats from the Internet"). Free, and timely, patches to problems are a good thing, not going to "mama" (where on earth do you get your language from?)

The ProFTPD download I complained about is very fishy and done in the dark just like M$ is operating. User has very little control and knowledge what and how it happens.
OK, you got confused and don't quite understand it. That's ok. Just ask, and we'll try to explain it to you. That doesn't make it fishy.

And what next? You don't want to "depend on some external pool of suppliers, which should all have been eliminated from this environment." I've got news for you, Mandriva doesn't make all the software in your system, there are lots of suppliers, including Linux, Mozilla, OpenOffice, etc etc etc. Adding updates from them (packaged by Mandriva and made available through Mandriva repositories) is not something to rant about.

The repositores also give you access to a boatload of software that just wouldn't fit on a CD or DVD, just have a look round how much free and useful stuff you now have at your fingertips - for free, without obligation, and almost always without nipples.

Now, take something for your blood pressure before you do yourself a mischief.