java install [solved]

grimx

when i try to use the chat option on this site , it give's me a link telling me i need to download a missing plugin, so i click on it, then it says it can't find the plugin that i need to download.

Help

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

here is the file i downloaded ( j2re-1_4_2_13-linuxi586.rpm.bin ) onto my desktop, and here is how i installed it

{

chmod +x 2re-1_4_2_13-linuxi586.rpm.bin

./2re-1_4_2_13-linuxi586.rpm.bin

urpmi 2re-1_4_2_13-linuxi586.rpm

}

and everything went fine..

But i still can't view web pages the require the java plugin. and i get the same message as i stated i my first post.

Help

Edited by grimx

since we've discovered that this is a issue with java/firefox on grimx's system (and not with the forum as originally thought), i've moved it to here, in Software.

grimx: there are some things you need to do to get the plugin to work properly with Firefox. Mostly, you need to locate the java plugin file (should be in /usr/java/<javaversion>/plugin/i386/ns7/) and copy it over to the hidden Firefox directory in your Home directory, should be something like /home/<username>/.firefox/plugins - it may be .mozilla, .mozilla-firefox, or similarly named.

tyme i did what you said , i had to login a root , and then i copy and pasted the file to mozilla/firefox/plugins and also mozilla too.

and it still does not work. same problem exist.

:wall:

is there java vm for linux that i need to install, or sumthin?? :wall:

Edited by grimx

i installed j2re1.4.2.13 , and made a link to the java .so from ns4 file , and placed the link in mozilla-firefox/plugins file.

Thats right, right??

it keeps on saying no sutible pulgins were found , errr!

Edited by grimx

i got it finally, had to reinstall Mandriva, but i got it, everything works great.

Thanx everyone. :D

I have tried to follow this, and with the reinstalling of Mandriva, I cannot make any sense out of the thread. I am glad that whatever was broken was fixed; I have had java running for some time (years) and am always curious as to other issues. I think there has got to be missing information in this thread! :P

I too am a bit puzzled by the firefox plugins, which is why I didn't reply to this thread earlier. The only way I could get it to work was to make the shortcut in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.10/plugins (that guide from dexter11 just mentions /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins). If it were just "mozilla-firefox-1.5" (rather than the full 1.5.0.10) that would be ok but the next little patch will install to mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.11 and all the plugins are suddenly gone. tyme mentioned making the shortcut in ~/.mozilla/plugins but I haven't got a plugins directory there and even if I did, that would mean that only my user has the plugins, rather than them being installed in the system for all users.

In my original thread (here), AussieJohn advised to put the plugins in /usr/lib/Mozilla/plugins (big M) but I haven't got a directory there either. Seems like there are lots of ways to get the plugins working but no single, recommended way.

And if you are runningFirefox 2.0.0.2 locally, the plugin directory is in /home/username/mozilla/firefox/plugins. But I just noticed that java is a system wide application and that it is not in the plug ins. Only flash is there.

Actually Dexter11 and also Neddie are correct that the Mozilla should be lower case. It was a typing fault on my part. Sorry.

In my system, flashplayer.xpt and libjavaplugin.so are in there (/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins)

Cheers. John.

I've followed every thread, did what every one said and invented a few of my own, and I still haven't been able to get java to work on my system. I just presumed it was because I was using the following system:

# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.19.5-1mdv #1 Sat Feb 24 04:51:15 EST 2007 x86_64 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ GNU/Linux

Video card: Radeon 9200

Therefore, I presumed that as new up-dates come out, I will eventually get my system running properly (as there are other problems, too.)