scanner setup

oldnoob

I have just purchased a cheap muli function printer, a epson stylus cx3900 as I have seen on linuxprinting.org that it works on linux. When booting linux it saw the printer and I selected a epson stylus cx3805 from the printer list as suggested on linuxprinting.org and all appears to be working well. I tried setting up the scanner from mcc choosing the 3805 and various other models but it did not set up the scanner. So I downloaded the avasys epson iscan software (rpm) which is supposed to set the scanner up if sane-backend is installed which it is. but when I run the rpm I get this message:

[root@localhost Scanner rpm]# rpm -i iscan-2.5.0-0.c2.i386.rpm

file /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15 from install of iscan-2.5.0-0.c2 conflicts with file from package libsane1-1.0.18-7mdv2007.0

file /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot/LC_MESSAGES/iscan.mo from install of iscan-2.5.0-0.c2 conflicts with file from package sane-backends-1.0.18-7mdv2007.0

file /usr/share/locale/en@quot/LC_MESSAGES/iscan.mo from install of iscan-2.5.0-0.c2 conflicts with file from package sane-backends-1.0.18-7mdv2007.0

[root@localhost Scanner rpm]#

Can someone tell me what this means or how I might resolve it?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I also have recently bought a Epson CX3900 and my choice was also based quite a bit on what was written in Linuxprinting.

I was unable to locate the c3805 drivers so I am using C66 ones and they are working just fine for printing.

As far as scanning goes I looked at the avasys stuff but I couldn't get it to install properly, I installed an independent scan program called QuiteInsane and it works but it seemed complicated and gave rather poor results. I then installed good old

Xsane 0.97 and everything is working great - the results are good, it is easy to use and it is reliable.

I hope that this information is of assistance to you.

The error message means that the RPM you are trying to install will replace already existing files. You could try installing it with the --force switch, but I doubt if it would fix the problem.

I do not know how well the existing driver works (if at all), because I do not have the scanner. You could try the (commercial) VueScan program, which claims to support your scanner. It is rather expensive, but it's pro-level quality scanning engine.

If there were no special functions of iscan you're definitely relying on, I'd try to get along with the sane package and it's frontends. Depending on your scanner model, perhaps you also need to download the corresponding firmware to be integrated into the driver.

Rowan just gave you the best answer.

It is a waste of time doing anything else until you try it. Chances of success ???. About 95%.

Log on to the Xsane website to see their help guide for installation and setting up.

Cheers. John.

I have just had a little play with the scanner on my CX3900 and I can confirm that Xsane works great.

You will need to install the following:

xsane-0.97-2mdk

xsane-gimp-0.97-2mdk and possibly dependencies.

The second entry allows 'gimp' to access your scanner remotely so that it can do image altering if required. If that is not needed then xsane will just surfice as a scanner.

By the way I am thinking that the Epson is exceptionally thirsty and seems to use ink at an alarming rate compared to other brands. Maybe it is just my imagination but it seems that we will only get about 200 A4 pages of text from a black cartridge.

I hope that this information is of use to you.

Rowan