CD-RW question...

nerdzyboy

I just bought a liteon 48x/24x/48x (CD-RW) 

Does it works with mandrake 9.1?

You have provided little useful info. What model is it ?

The best way is to plug it in. Then enable scsi emulation. Then try burning a cd.

I installed a LiteOn 48 x 24 x 48 model LTR 48246S last weekend. As a newbie, I got a bit lost, but overall it went well. You might read my post:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...3669&highlight= ://http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewto...669&highlight= ://http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewto...669&highlight=

and learn from my mistakes. :oops:

But actually, it worked well, the info on this board is VERY HELPFUL and you should have no problems if you follow the advice given. If you get lost, remember it really helps to post your fstab and lilo.cfg and identify your cd devices well. It will save time if you provide that info so the experts here can help you. Good luck!

I believed that it would be easier for you to burn CDs if you install the LITEON CD-RW before the installation of Mandrake Linux. Many configurations about CD-R and CD-RW are automatically set during the Mandrake Linux Installation process. I tried Mandrake 8.2 for a CD-R. It was successful. After the installation, I can easy burn CDs using Gcombust.

However, I am trying to purchase a cheap (under $70) CD-R for my Mandrake Linux 9.1. Does anyone know the good products of CD-R to buy for Mandrake Linux? Does LITEON (LTR-52246s) 52x24x52x CD-Rewritable or MITSUMI 52X24X52 CD-RW Drive CR-487ETE-BK work and automatically configured during the Mandrake installation process?

I am sure that both of them will work. It is easier to have Mandrake do it all duing an install, but there still may be more to do, especially if you have a cd reader in the system like do. So learning how to set it up is also good. Then you can keep a back up of your /etc/fstab file in your /home directory, and just copy it out everytime you do an install. :wink:

Not sure how it would have picked up and configured in an install, since I added the CDRW after 9.0 had been installed for 3 months or so. It certainly was not too hard to do after install! It is more fun to get your hands dirty and poke around a bit! :)

After the install the new Liteon CDRW was recognized, but I still had to edit the fstab and setup for SCSI emulation so cdrecord and xcdroast could use it properly. I chose to do both drives as SCSI emulated so I can copy from CDR to CD burner.

The Mandrake Control Center GUI helped some, especially to look at the mount points in a graphic view. But I agree that doing it manually forces you to learn where the files are (sometimes that is a trip if you are used to Windoze) and how to edit them. Then if something goes wrong you'll be able to know what might be the problem. It isn't so scarey later when you have a problem because you have been down the road before and it is at least partly familiar. Reading those boring and detailed man pages is not my idea of fun, but after you read them, goof up a few times and try again, they start to make sense and save you a lot of grief. The more experienced people on this board are more than ready to help you understand if you have questions after you've done a bit of homework.

Personally I like to know what's under the hood/bonnet of this 'puter! One of these days I want to actually know how to tweak this thing out too! Someday I might even be able to help somebody else figure their 'puter out too! Enjoy! :wink: