dialup in Mandriva 2007 One?

Trio3b

Using actiontec external serial hdwr modem. This setup works on this PC in Mepis, MDK 10 and 10.2, and Slack. I'm getting 5.9 kb/s which is hauling ass for dialup. I am on the end of a very long POTS line so this is GOOD! Now in MDV 2007 one, I tried the MCC modem POTS connection, but no go. Applet reports ppp0 connects then immediately disconnects. Mozilla and Konq report "no server".

On a hunch, opened Kppp from CL since it isn't in the menu. Sure enough the MCC wizard doesn't auto detect or load the default modem commands including the init string, so had to manually type in all the commands. In addition to the specific requests for account and modem parameters, I have been able to check " automatic" for the DHCP and DNS questions and this has always has worked. NOW, I am able to connect, but both browsers report waiting for "whatever site" but never connect as if there is a name resolution problem.

I noticed when I used the MCC wizard, they now have kppp auto launched upon opening Moz browser, but now that I have connected using kppp, I think some script is trying to launch kppp when it is already open.

Well, I'm afraid to ask. Mind you, I figured this all out a year ago and had it working in MDK 10.0 and 10.2. What or why did they change this?

I have the opportunity to promote MDV to a few people who do not have access to DSL, but this is not a good start.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You say that you can apparently connect to the net. Please verify this. Check from the command line as root if you can ping any site.

ping www.google.com

If this is positive, disable ipv6 in Firefox. If it still doesn't work, the question that arises is if Mandriva uses the right module for the modem. Remember that not all modems are supported out of the box by the live-CD.