Audio CDs

RadioEar

I noticed in Windows XP running "My Computer", now show some contents of an audio CD as CDA files.

With Linux KDE 3.4, running "Konqueror", will show WAV files with others in directories; CDA, FLAC ,MP3 and OGG Vorbis. including an Information Dir. and Full CD Dir.

My question is; What I see in Konqueror is what's really on the CD? All the files copy to the HD just fine using Konqueror.

It's probably a mixed-mode cd. You can make a CD with audio tracks at the beginning, and in the later half you can place data. Some bands use this to create add-on features (silverchairs "Freak Show" album was a prime example of this) or in this case they may have done it to add the tracks in data form, so you could put them on portable devices and things of that nature.

When Konqeuror shows oggs and mp3s in the directory, that doesn't mean they're saved as files on the CD. As scarecrow says, it's a virtual file system, which means the files don't exist (yet). When you copy-and-paste these virtual files onto your hard-drive, the files get created on the fly. It's quite a neat way of ripping and encoding with a single operation.

I can recall even under windows 9X a virtual filesystem created by some "cdfs.vxd" device driver, which allowed audioCD's being seen from explorer as MP3 containers, and being ripped via simple drag+drop (only a couple CBR settings supported). This has never been ported into windows NT/2K/XP, AFAIK.

Edited by scarecrow

"secure"?

Yes.

There are certain programs that ensure 100% reliability when ripping audioCD's- they even adjust the drive's static read and write offset, so that the audioCD copy is identical to the original.

See for example HERE- it's arguably the best audio ripper available- it's windows only, but it also works fine under wine. There are also another couple of trustee windows programs, but no Linux native one yet. Still, the native rips under Linux may not be "secure", but they are of very good quality.

I have seen those dirs with mp3/ogg/flac on CD under XP too, though it has been years since I inserted an audio CD in the computer.

To my knowledge the only program which was doing that under 2K/XP was Opticom MP3 Producer Pro 2.1 (licenced after Fraunhoefer), but this was only for MP3 files, plus that the (commercial) program was discontinued a long time ago.