Eventually able to install Mandriva 2007 Free

keith11

I was completely hopeless I could ever be able to work in Mandriva 2007 but I am posting this message from Mandriva 2007 Free.:) I made three DVD's with different speeds and still wasn't able to install Mandriva 2007, so I was very disappointed and frustrated. I should have paid more attention to the fact that ALWAYS AND ALWAYS check the "md5" checksum of the downloaded ISO file and only then burn the image on a media. The problem with my downloaded file was that it was corrupted. I used uTorrent to fix the ISO and was able to install it. I was able to configure intel pro 2200 wireless card too. All I did for wireless was just copy all four files of the firmware (which I downloade from Intel's website) to "lib/firmware" and then configure the wireless card from the hardware configuration in Mandriva.

I have a few problems though. I do remember the administrator login name, but I don't remember the password. Whenever I install something and it asks for an administrator password, I enter my admin login and it works. So I am wondering was the admin login which it asked me during the installation itself the password for the username "root" or the login was the username? I am lost here. One other problem is that at the session login prompt when I type "root" as my username and my admin login as the password, it says "root login is not allowed", why so? How do I login as an administrator from the graphical prompt? Thanks in advance...

Welcome to mandy2007 :D

I do remember the administrator login name, but I don't remember the password. Whenever I install something and it asks for an administrator password, I enter my admin login and it works. So I am wondering was the admin login which it asked me during the installation itself the password for the username "root" or the login was the username? I am lost here.

I guess it is....

One other problem is that at the session login prompt when I type "root" as my username and my admin login as the password, it says "root login is not allowed", why so? How do I login as an administrator from the graphical prompt? Thanks in advance...

It is the default setting for mandriva, it is easily changed, though I guess people here would say you shouldn't do it for safety reasons. Change allowrootlogin in /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc to true. Another way is to type su in a console and then start konqueror ( or nautilus or thunar or whichever file manager you prefer)

In Linux, "root" is the name of the user "administrator." Yes, the password that you entered was the root password.

You can run your system as root, but you would be better off learning how to use "su" and "sudo" at the CLI, or use the GUI Mandriva Control Center.

(...)It is the default setting for mandriva, it is easily changed, though I guess people here would say you shouldn't do it for safety reasons. Change allowrootlogin in /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc to true. Another way is to type su in a console and then start konqueror ( or nautilus or thunar or whichever file manager you prefer)

I was also very curious why I couldn't login as a root to my Mandriva 2007. Thx for that advice ffi :thumbs:

No, thanks but I guess Mandriva did this for a good reason.

I think the workarounds are probably better (safer) and even less hassle some, then logging out and back in again . There are additions available for Konqueror to open files as root with a right click and in thunar (the xfce file manager), it is easily set up with the add custom command option, I don't know about nautilus however .