KDE messed up in 2007 Free [solved]

dude67

I see a multitude of misunderstanding in this thread.

First, I recommend forgetting what has been. Both mde and upgrades create plenty of issues without anything else.

In your /home/username directory, find the hidden files, .kde or .gnome, (notice the dot) and rename them . Your previous desktop settings are not going to work. Do a fresh install and then come back here. Do not do anything else.

There are several things at work here and in order to solve the issues, we need to slow down and take one step at a time.

There is nothing remarkable about the hardware, so the issue is probably misunderstanding. ;)

I would like to understand why you say that MDE creates plenty of issues.

For example MDE kde can be upgraded using the buggy tool rpmdrake/urpmi and the only issue that sometimes happens is that in the toolbars appear some double entries and thats why we recommend to uninstall mandriva kde before install MDE kde, and that is the only reason.

About MDE kde being enhanced means that includes more build options and is build with pch wich creates a better kde without the mandriva kde problems being reported so far.

About the problems that this user haves its related with doing an upgrade from 2006 to 2007, thats why is always recommended to do a clean install and also create a new user or simply back up the folder ~/.kde

To see if an update would help I wanted to update to KDE 3.5.5 and had a go with the MDE 3.5.5 KDE through the directions from this post https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=36298&hl=

That really messed up my KDE...

I couldn't have multiple desktops, I couldn't move any of the windows that I opened, the last application was alway on top... And most likely some of the privileges were changed (if I remember correctly).

I tried to un-install KDE in total and managed that. At first I reinstalled KDE, but it was the same MDE version that was there earlier. I tried to unmark the MDE path from the update, but obviously I was unsuccessful.

Then I urpme'd again the whole KDE now using what what was suggested at MDE site: http://www.mde.djura.org/kde_install_2007_32.html

I used "init 3" to access non-graphical interface. I then uprme'd the whole KDE and urpmi'd it back again, using only the original (official) mirrors (and not from MDE path).

Now I'm unable to start any GUI: No Ice, no KDE, no Gnome - no nothing!

The only reason we recommend to uninstall mandriva kde is that when upgrading kde (refering between versions, i.e. from 3.5.4 to 3.5.5), is that after upgrading kde apps apear with double entries in toolbars like for example konqueror toolbars.

But after upgrading to MDE kde or installing as a clean install, it runs ok, now if with you appeared any problem was to some bad install you have done, and thats why we also say to install the suite wrappers, i.e. kdelibs-suite, kdebase-suite, kdemultimedia-suite, that this wrappers will install all the packges of the selected kde module, this way will not miss any rpm needed to run kde, like for example kdebase-kdm.

Also when reporting problems is neded specific information to be able to see really see what problem is.

regards,

First, I recommend forgetting what has been. Both mde and upgrades create plenty of issues without anything else.

In your /home/username directory, find the hidden files, .kde or .gnome, (notice the dot) and rename them . Your previous desktop settings are not going to work. Do a fresh install and then come back here. Do not do anything else.

There are several things at work here and in order to solve the issues, we need to slow down and take one step at a time.

There is nothing remarkable about the hardware, so the issue is probably misunderstanding. ;)

It has been awhile since I've had time to really get back to this problem. It has not gone anywhere, I was out of the country for awhile...

I've managed to screw more up in my system, and would like to do a fresh installation. If I could only keep my T-bird e-mails. It's not only mine, it's my wife's e-mails as well... :o

The best option is of course if I could keep my /home directory stuff.

So: how do I go about NOT formatting the /home directory? I can find five blocks of HD space, when I entered the fresh installation. The first two are for WinXP (C: and D:), then there is something like 5 GB of FS-space, one section of 1 GB (roughly) for swap and again one 40 GB slice of FS (FS?... not really sure if it was FS...). Does that mean that I only have 1 big partition for all /var /usr /tmp and /home?

If this is not possible, can I at least save my e-mails? And where is it usually installed and where are the e-mails saved?

Any thoughts?

DONE! I got my KDE desktop back with all my emails! :D

I did a fresh new installation using the existing partitions. The installation asked if I wanted to format "/" and "home" directories. I just made sure that home directory was unchecked.

If I only knew in the beginning, it would be that easy to leave the home directory intact... I did copy all the .thunderbird and thunderbird directories I could find into a USB HD, but I didn't need them. Well I suppose it's good to have a back up taken every now-and-then... Q.E.D. ;)

But it was a good advice to first remove the kde from the system. I didn't at first and kept having problems with my kde. I then removed the .kde directory from system and did a new clean installation of the Mandriva 2007. Now it's working great!

Well that's not quite true... I'm still having problems with Konqueror. When I'm trying to open "devices" from the desktop, it only displays Error - Konqueror "Protocol not supported device" and opens up a greyed Konqueror window (with nothing in it). I can obviously live without it, but would like to know what's causing this... It was the original problem with my 2007 installation that got me into trouble in the first place...

But in any case, I've got a working 2007 installation of Mandriva! Thank you all for your advice! :thumbs:

I would like to understand why you say that MDE creates plenty of issues.

For example MDE kde can be upgraded using the buggy tool rpmdrake/urpmi and the only issue that sometimes happens is that in the toolbars appear some double entries and thats why we recommend to uninstall mandriva kde before install MDE kde, and that is the only reason.

About MDE kde being enhanced means that includes more build options and is build with pch wich creates a better kde without the mandriva kde problems being reported so far.

About the problems that this user haves its related with doing an upgrade from 2006 to 2007, thats why is always recommended to do a clean install and also create a new user or simply back up the folder ~/.kde

My point was not about mde resources specifically, but about performing an upgrade from a system that has had several non-Mandriva changes. Upgrades are "iffy" by themselves. Upgrades sort of work without any customizations. If the system has been customized, as with mde rpm's, then an upgrade will not work, period. This is a reflection of the upgrade process, and not mde rpm's. ;)

I'm sorry; I spoke too soon... I must re-install Mandriva as it just hangs on me quite often (now almost every 2 minutes).

So I believe my "crime" was leaving the /home directory and installing it anew with all the former settings.

I haven't done so yet as I try to get a back-up of T-bird mails before that.

I got a fresh new installation with formated "/" and "/home" folders. I managed to save most of my e-mails, but lost some of my wife's e-mails though. I didn't save enought .thunderbird folders obviously.

All seems fine now, but when I was changing some of the KDE visual aspects (icons, themes, desktops etc.) for a short while KDE was not working properly. I've got it back, but obviously this Mandriva 2007 Free and KDE 3.5.4 are not stable together. :sad:

I don't even want to try the 3D desktop...

Edited by dude67