Java GPL'ed

dexter11

Sun and its CEO Jonathan Schwartz kept his word and open sourced Java Standard Edition, Java Micro Edition and Java Enterprise Edition under the GPL v2 license yesterday. In his blog entry, Schwartz explains some of the reasons which led to open sourcing Java, like the Novell-Microsoft agreement. And more may come:

"At an event today to formally open-source Java, Jonathan Schwartz, Sun's president and CEO, and Rich Green, the company's senior VP of software had an exchange in which Schwartz put Green on the spot about using GPL for OpenSolaris: 'Are you averse to changing the license, Rich Green?' Schwartz asked. 'Certainly not,' Green responded, prompting the Sun CEO to fire back in a half-joking manner: 'Will you GPL Solaris, Mr. Green?' 'We will take a close look at it,' Green said, adding that it was possible that the familiarity and comfort level many developers have with the GPL may result in Sun adopting it for OpenSolaris."
Slashdot

sources: hup.hu 1, hup.hu 2, hup.hu 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it.

I can see how it helps projects like gcj, but I can't see how it helps me and I can't see how it helps Sun at all.

So maybe in Mandriva 2008 there'll be a jvm included automatically for Free on the CDs - but I can already download Sun's jvm or jdk for gratis from sun.com. I guess it could remove some faint feeling of dirtiness on the part of java devs, that they're not using Free software, but as long as it works, and works reliably, on multiple platforms, then I don't feel dirty anyway.

I'm sure that Sun will retain ownership of the brand "Java", but what's to stop the forks with unpredictable patches and names just different enough to cause confusion? (a la Iceweasel).

I'm a Java dev and I never felt dirty being so...

The main advantages are the standard open source ones - e.g. bugs being found/fixed more quickly etc...

It also means that other people will develop their own JVMs which will have various different advantages. Since they will also be GPL'ed then the best of those improvements will find their way back into Sun's JVM. There will be people adding their own proprietry features, but I think Sun's JVM will still be the main one ...

• 2 weeks later...