ext3 error

isamu

Hi there, someone could aid men, as you see Im trying to get a hd to work, its in ext3 fs, diskdrake see the disk asign device and made the right allocation of the partitions but when tryng to mount in diskdrake its says:

cant mount /dev/hdb1 on to xxxxx, and when at hand it says cant mount the fs due an misunderstaing of fs or bad superblock , trying dmesg | tail says

EXT3 FS, cant mount device due unsupported options (80008000).

And when trying to use fsck, e2fsck fsck.ext2 and fsck.ext3 it says cant read or open the superblock its probably corrupt but trying to use another block with the -b option and nothing happens.

This disk its alredy dead?

if not how can I make it readable?

Thanks

You would have to boot into recovery mode to fix the partition unless the partition is not mounted already.

What's the contents of your /etc/fstab file for this particular drive/partition? Just in case you have invalid options causing the problem. If you don't have any data on the disk, we can always recreate the partition again to fix the problem.

I ve cheked my fstbab and the system does not mention the device (it was shows as /dev/hdd before, but now doesnt appear) and I would take the suggestion of recreate the partition but the problem its at full of documents and my entire life its there, because my degree thesis its there (jeje) and give me no time to make a backup on something. And the rescue mode of can acces this?

Thanks

Alex

Yep, if you're sure you know what the partition was on this disk, then boot your Mandriva Disk 1 and type "linux rescue" from the prompt to boot rescue mode.

Then you can run checks on the file system. If you're sure it's ext3, then you can do:

fsck /dev/xxxx

replacing xxxx with the device and partition number.

Hi ti everyone!

Here are the results

The way its to force to fsck.ext3 to check the whole drive, since the superblock, the journal id, the ext3 flags and other stuff were corrupted (I dunno why)=() I have to play with numbers trying with each and everyone number to guess the superblock even when I know the system was baes on 4k blocks it take a little time, but I found the right superblock et voila, after 4 checks of fsck the errors were corrected and finish it. I can use the disk again and my files have 100% of integrity. My bad I dont think to dump the superblocks founded right.

Ill try to post it later.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Im at your orders.