I can't even create the CD!

Guest Wee Jock

Guest Wee Jock

Im new to computing as well as Linux but as Im installing a second Hard drive in my PC next week to practice for my A+ I thought it would be a good idea to install Linux upon it.

So Ive downloaded Mandriva and installed Deepburner Free but when I tried to burn an ISO image it only gave me the option of erasing the disc(which isnt even a CD-RW). I created a Data CD instead but I cant open that to try it out before installing.

Where am I going wrong?

Welcome aboard. :)

Every burner program should have an option to burn a CD from an iso-image. If that is not available in your specific case, try to get Nero or EasyCD-Creator or similar programs which allow you to do so.

The problem is when you burn the iso image onto a CD (instead of burning a CD from the image), there won't be generated a bootrecord on the CD, thus leaving it unable to start the installer/boot-application and rendering the media useless.

Once you have created the CD, reboot the system and set it to boot from CD/DVD first. You cannot start the installer from within e.g. Windows.

Guest Wee Jock

Just so I know Ill do it right When I open the folder there is the ISO image and two text files.Is it just the ISO I need to burn?

And when I right-click on it all I get is the option to burn with DVD Decrypter which is something I dont want to do right? :unsure:

Do not "unpack" the iso image in any way. The choice should be available to "burn image file" or "burn iso image" which will do the job correctly. It is available in every burning program that I have seen.

The best FREE windows application for burning CD and DVD images is ImgBurn. You can hardly go wrong with that one.

i have never tried imgburn but i am using CD Burner XP (dont mind the xp, its a hype thing). granted that cdbxp has not been updated for quite a while but 3.0.1* is very much uasble on my tests. granted that i burn more cds here in the office than dvds.

just giving more options but thanks scarecrow on the imgburn tip. :)

ciao!

I think I use the same as you ramfree - when I'm in Windows of course :P

of course. my employer is a ms shop so i dont have a choice on that either. cdbxp is a great app otherwise i will be stuck on the bundled sucky burning suite with the company's external dvd writer. :)

my laptop has nero oem but i seldom use it. i prefer using k3b especially since nero mucks up the spaces in the compilation. i found the correct option combination once but when i reformatted it was too much of a hassle to figure things out, plus only my wife uses windows. rebooting to burn something is not very efficient. :)

ciao!

Guest Wee Jock

Ill pick up some new CDs today and give IMG a go.After I get my hard drive on Thursday Im sure Ill be on this forum quite a lot as I learn about Linux! :thumbs:

One question though.Is it Line-ux or Lin-ux?

I always end up saying Line-ux because is what I kept saying for years. Was only recently I realised it was Lin-ux as pronounced by Linus in an mp3 I found saying how to pronounce it :P

Guest Wee Jock

Well that answers that question.

Now, Ive created the bootable CD and before Thursday arrives what else would I need?I have an Nvidia GS7300 card.Should I download the driver now and copy it from drive to drive later or get the OS up and running and connected to the Net first?

I personally tend to just install the system, and then download the driver later once I know the system is functioning correctly and able to do at least the basics, such as internet connectivity, etc, etc.

Then, I'd download the driver and install where necessary. It's important during install to make sure at the summary screen that your video card is configured correctly. Sometimes they are marked as "not configured", and this will cause you problems if you proceed without ensuring that it's configured properly.

You have two options, to configure with the nvidia driver, and if that fails, you can always use vesa anyway later, but this doesn't mean you need to reinstall. If you have problems getting to the graphical interface, post here first, and we'll tell you how to get your system running without the need to completely reinstall.