Firefox in 2007 [solved]

AussieJohn

This is just a quick one. I wanted to check my download consumption for the month so far. Naturally I need to log into my ISP Account with Bigpond (Australia). The appropiate spaces were there for Account ID and ID Password but there was no OK button and clicking Enter did not do the trick. With the assistance of the Technical Support chap he told me there should be a button and to move the pointer over a particular spot and see if the cursor changes. Sure enough I found the spot and mouse clicked and I was away. The chap said that it appeared to be a setting in Firefox that is causing the button to be hidden. He had the details of how to make the change in IE but not for Firefox.

Ideas please.

Cheers. John.

Do you know what the change was meant to be? You could always try:

about:config

in the url bar of Firefox to make config changes, and then filter to see if you can find what option you need to change. It might not be obvious or use the same wording as IE, but there should be something. Unless it's under Edit/Preferences from the menu in Firefox.

This is just a quick one. I wanted to check my download consumption for the month so far. Naturally I need to log into my ISP Account with Bigpond (Australia). The appropiate spaces were there for Account ID and ID Password but there was no OK button and clicking Enter did not do the trick. With the assistance of the Technical Support chap he told me there should be a button and to move the pointer over a particular spot and see if the cursor changes. Sure enough I found the spot and mouse clicked and I was away. The chap said that it appeared to be a setting in Firefox that is causing the button to be hidden. He had the details of how to make the change in IE but not for Firefox.

Ideas please.

Cheers. John.

Point the Bigpond web authors here? :D

You might want to put in that URL just for fun to see how many errors it returns. I hate that so any places make little or no effort to write decent html. BTW, what is the URL? (Just want to look myself, without a password/account, can't go beyond that anyway.)

Edited by riseringseeker

Hello riseringseeker.

The ISP is http://bigpond.com.au and the account is with http://www.bigpond.net.au

I hope this is what you wanted.

Hi Ian. I wouldn't know quite where to look in about:config although I have made changes in there in the past.

I'll have another look.

I'm just wondering if FasterFox might have something to do with it. I am also finding that right clicking on images is not bringing up any menu for downloading and saving etc.

Thanks so far to you both.

Cheers. John.

Hello riseringseeker.

The ISP is http://bigpond.com.au and the account is with http://www.bigpond.net.au

I hope this is what you wanted.

I put the first URL through the w3c validator and it showed 183 errors, though since the type was not declared there is a disclaimer saying that the validator would likely fail for lots of trivial reasons. I cannot connect to the http://www.bigpond.net.au at all, says it cannot find the server. You sure it has the "www" in front? Do you see it when you click the link you provided?

No it doesn't.

The .com.au is the one that really counts since the .net.au is associated with email only.

183 errors ???. Not very good is it but since it is built on Microsoft you can't expect anything else can you ???.

I solved that other niggly problem about the right click menu on images. It is caused by having all ticked the boxes in the Preferences------------> Content -------------> Javascript ADVANCED.

I unticked the lot. No more problem in that part now. Seems the default is All Enabled, for some reason.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

This is what I see when I go to "login" (Firefox 1.5, Mandriva 2007) :

post-10937-1162768258_thumb.jpg

The "Go" button seems to be hidden behind the other panel. Just looks like they've checked it in IE but nothing else.

One workaround is to use the keyboard instead - after you've typed your password, press 'tab' twice (to move keyboard focus to the "Go" button) and then press 'space' to push it.

Thanks Neddie.

In my situation there is nothing covering the GO button (no part page or menu or anything). It is just invisible in its actual location.

Just hovering the mouse pointer over the correct spot where it should be brings it up and left clicking activates it as it should, so there is no need to use the keyboard at all.

What I am trying to find out is what setting in Firefox (2007) causes the button to be hidden.

I have checked the same site page in Konqueror and it is there AOK.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the website yourself as you did.

Cheers. John.

Thanks Neddie.

In my situation there is nothing covering the GO button (no part page or menu or anything). It is just invisible in its actual location.

Just hovering the mouse pointer over the correct spot where it should be brings it up and left clicking activates it as it should, so there is no need to use the keyboard at all.

What I am trying to find out is what setting in Firefox (2007) causes the button to be hidden.

I have checked the same site page in Konqueror and it is there AOK.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the website yourself as you did.

Cheers. John.

John,

Firefox rendering in Mozilla is way more forgiving of errors than anything else. (including konqueror) ...

I found this out 'the hard way' making sites and using firefox to check what they look like...and then being told by people that it didn't render properly... at this point I knew it had errors just nothing fatal but firefox rendered it based on a best guess wheras konq looked way wrong and IE just a jumbled mess.

However as I got more into this you learn IE needs its own errors specially added to work properly... especially over things like redirections (this is even built into apache) but also many layout items etc.

My guess is nothing is wrong with your settings ...

Script" src="/res/javascript/omniture/s_code.js"></script>

is just plain wrong ...

From html ref W3C example

BAD <script language="Javascript">

GOOD <script type="text/javascript">

a bit firther up I find

line 372 column 8 - Warning: missing </a> before <p>

This leads to creating its own error

line 373 column 79 - Warning: discarding unexpected </a>

which iself then causes another error .. etc.

The moz-rendering engine it simply having its best guess....

Without a screen shot it's tricky to tell.

But it could be that the "Go" button is an image, and somehow you've managed to click the "block images from this site" option. Which means that the image isn't loaded. Have a look in the preferences to see if anything is in the list of sites for which images are blocked (note that this particular image may come from a different site than the other bigpond images, perhaps).

I checked that Neddie, but that was not the case. The settings are to allow images. I even tried allowing popups but that made no difference. The only thing I maybe can do is make a printout of about:config in Firefox in 2006 and see how it compares with 2007. I'll have to think about that one though.

Thanks Gowater. The good thing is that I can still do what I want to do but I suppose it is mainly curiousity as to what is causing the effect. When the next Firefox update comes in for 2007 then it is likely the effect will clear. One can only hope.

Cheers. John.

I've just checked on my 2007 system. I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.7 the official Mandriva package.

Here's my screenshot, it looks OK to me :unsure:

Unless I'm on the wrong page.....

Hello Ianw and thanks for coming in on this as well.

Snap 1. same page as yours but you can see that GO button is missing here although the uppermost one is still there.

Snap 2. original page discussed, you can see missing again.

Snap 3. pointer doesn't appear in snap but the GO button has appeared.

Problem obviously in Firefox settings but cannot think of anything I have done differently in 2007 Firefox.

Weird huh.

John.

John,

I have a funny feeling it might be your font settings in Firefox. These can screw around with page layouts. Here I've attached a screenshot, so you can check your font settings against mine, and see if it makes a difference.