Bandwidth throttling?

Steve Scrimpshire

My home network consists of a Win2K box (downstairs) and my MDK 8.1 with a 2.4.20 kernel (upstairs) connected by LinkSys Home Phonelne Network (HPN) cards. I have DHCP set up to give my eth0 a static IP of 192.168.0.1 and the downstairs box gets 192.168.0.2. Here's the output of ifconfig eth0 from my Linux box:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:78:F0:42:23  

inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:179260 errors:3439 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:22488

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:1166 txqueuelen:30 

RX bytes:13666018 (13.0 Mb)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Interrupt:9 Base address:0xe000

Originally, the txqueuelen was set to 100 and I changed it to 30. There were no collisions before that I can recall, so I raised it back to 100 (just now). I had lowered it, anticipating a kind of throttling for the downstairs box.

"What's your problem?" you ask.

I'm getting there.....

Downstairs, my fiancee's son likes to download tons of music and he'll have like 4 downloads going at once while I'm trying to surf and it draaaaaaaaaags me way down. I've tried to read sites describing how to throttle it down for him, but they are more specifically geared toward broadband and we use dialup. I can't seem to translate their instructions for my purposes. Can anyone help or point me to an easier-to-understand howto?

TIA

I'm not quite sure, if you're using a router. When I used my Linux box as a router, I was able throttle bandwidth with QOS (I think it was....) do a Google search for QOS, or maybe check out the /usr/src/Linux/Documentation/networking directory. There might be something there... remember though, it might not have been qos I was using

Thanks. There was nothing about QoS in that directory for me (even capitalized correctly :P ).

One one of the over-my-head HowTos QoS was mentioned, so that should be the right track.

Edit: And I'm not sure about the terminology, but I guess I'm not using a router. Not hardware anyway. In my DHCP configuration, I have the IP of my Linux set as the 'router' using iptables:

ddns-update-style none;

option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

option netbios-name-servers 192.168.0.1;

option routers 192.168.0.1;

option domain-name "omarserenity.home";

option ip-forwarding on;

I believe there is a way to do this with sorewall, but sorry I haven't figured it out completely myself. I know you can set priorities to a kind of connection/protocol, so that messages of that type are placed in a certain list: there are 3 kind of lists I believe: list1 is located before list2,...So, packets in list1 will be sent before lpackets in list2,.....

It is a certain file in shorewall you can set this(don't know the name anymore, but there aren't so much and it's docs are well). It is in /etc/shorewall I think, if you have shorewall installed...Be sure to let you're loginconnection for your ISP trough with shorewall, else you can't connect to the internet: don't know this precisely for a dialup: With me it is a udp-outgoing-connection, but I have also restricted IP's.

More I don't know yet, but I want to use it, so my upload sometimes doesn't block my download...